Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Is there anything I need to be careful before washing my motorcycle? Key hole, remove the battery or something? can I use a power washer? I know it sounds dumb but I see a lot of places where the water can get into the electrical stuff. thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
Why wash it?
I have never washed any bike I've owned.
Yes I clean, but never use running water - and DONT use a power washer!!!!!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hey all, Is there anything I need to be careful before washing my motorcycle? Key hole, remove the battery or something? can I use a power washer? I know it sounds dumb but I see a lot of places where the water can get into the electrical stuff. thanks
DO wash your bike. Clean helps it last better, look better, and that prompts you to take better care of it. NEVER use high pressure power washers. But, light spray from a home garden hose will not hurt it (after all, it is no worse than riding in the rain).
Also, you want to do a little water proofing - I use LPS lube (#2) to get a little oil into those places like around bolts & nuts, washers, and little crevices where moisture can accumulate and eventually start rusting.
Remember, WD-40 is a great water displacement tool, and a great solvent to break up caked grease, etc, but it is NOT a lubricant for long protection!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No hard pressure on the water, could cause damage, bearings et rest, just a drip.
Thanks mate

DO wash your bike. Clean helps it last better, look better, and that prompts you to take better care of it. NEVER use high pressure power washers. But, light spray from a home garden hose will not hurt it (after all, it is no worse than riding in the rain).
Also, you want to do a little water proofing - I use LPS lube (#2) to get a little oil into those places like around bolts & nuts, washers, and little crevices where moisture can accumulate and eventually start rusting.
Remember, WD-40 is a great water displacement tool, and a great solvent to break up caked grease, etc, but it is NOT a lubricant for long protection!
the water proofing is after the wash right?

Why wash it?
I have never washed any bike I've owned.
Yes I clean, but never use running water - and DONT use a power washer!!!!!
my bike is covered in pollen so its asking for a bath :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
There's salt on other roads, naturally, like here in California. And other substances worth washing away from time to time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I hand wash with soap and water then use the pressure washer with the delicate nozzle to rinse. If you get to the bugs after your ride they come off a lot easier than if the sit and dry on for a day or two. I've never had an issue with the pressure washer but just use it to rinse from a good distance.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's very rare for me to wash the upper half of any bike. I'll use Motul "Moto-Wash" spray around the bottom half if there's a lot of road grime and chain oil about, but that's not more than twice a year. The upper half of the bike I clean with "Original Bike Spirits Cleaner and Polish" perhaps 4-6 times a year and then follow with a good carnauba wax.

I don't ride in bad weather (any precipitation fits my definition of "bad") and that likely is why I don't wash my bikes more frequently. They just stay clean with little input from me.
Ralph

·
Registered
690 Posts
The very best cleaner I have ever used for both the lower parts of cars and mc's is a NON-Acidic Wheel Cleaner sold by Professional Detailing Products (Professional Detailing Products, Because Your Car is a Reflection of You) ;ocated in Canton, OH. You simply cannot get as good a product at the box stores. I also get their auto shampoo called "Hawaiian Punch" which leaves a finish that appears similar to a polished finish).

For my upper polishing, I use a product called "Angel Polish" sold by a company near Columbus, OH called ESOTERIC (www.esotericdetail.com). You will NEVER find anything at this place in an auto box store. ALL their products are high-class and simply cannot be beat. On the pricey side, but for polish it is worth it. Check them out, Esoteric ONLY details EXPENSIVE autos & motorcycles, like Maserati's, Lamborghini's, Mclarens, Porche's, etc. They have dozens of videos on YouTube that teach detailing.

My bike was 5 years old, and it looked showroom new when I sold it. And I did a minimum of actual work to keep it in that shape by using these products!

Reactions: ksandvik

·
Registered
186 Posts
Use the Honda cleaner / wax for maintaining your bike between washes. Cover you tailpipe (I use a plastic bag and rubber band) and don’t spray it in the air intakes/exhaust. The manual should tell you these things.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Use the Honda cleaner / wax for maintaining your bike between washes. Cover you tailpipe (I use a plastic bag and rubber band) and don’t spray it in the air intakes/exhaust. The manual should tell you these things.
Those Owner's Manual things that get lost or shuffled to the back of the closet... may be the best "upgrade" a rider can do with their new motorcycles. It's amazing how many "problem areas"... just aren't problems. :giggle:

·
Registered
3 Posts
And on a different question, does anybody know a good fix for slight signs of mild rust on the front brake disc on a 2019 CBR? Low mileage but I'm afraid I shouldn't have used bleach to clean it? I'm thinking it needs some kind of sealant but nothing too slick or greasy like Wd-40, where the brake calipers won't grip.

·
Registered
153 Posts
WHY are you using bleach?
And are you saying the disc itself is rusty?
That is normal, because of the polished surface.
The first time you stop it will "fix" itself.
Happens on all cars you just dont see it as easily!

·
Registered
3 Posts
WHY are you using bleach?
And are you saying the disc itself is rusty?
That is normal, because of the polished surface.
The first time you stop it will "fix" itself.
Happens on all cars you just dont see it as easily!
OK, thx JD, yeah I tried bleach to keep the little spiders away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts