Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was adjusting my throttle cable because there was way too much slack in the line. When I was done I noticed that whole control assembly (the starter, hazards, and kill switch) are now loose and moving up and down with the turn of the throttle. Anybody know who to tighten that up? I only see two screws on the back but both are tight and may not have anything to do with that.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Not sure how adjusting throttle cables could get your throttle and switch gear loose, however, there should be a little tab inside the switch gear housing which fits into a locating hole in the handle bar, once the tab goes into the hole then tighten up the assembly once more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure how adjusting throttle cables could get your throttle and switch gear loose, however, there should be a little tab inside the switch gear housing which fits into a locating hole in the handle bar, once the tab goes into the hole then tighten up the assembly once more.
I think what happen is the locking nut on the throttle cable was put on by a gorilla, and I might have use too much force in freeing it. That force is what did something to the control assembly. I tried to re-tightening it but it still have some wiggle in it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think what happen is the locking nut on the throttle cable was put on by a gorilla, and I might have use too much force in freeing it. That force is what did something to the control assembly. I tried to re-tightening it but it still have some wiggle in it.
You may have snapped the tab off of the switchgear, which is why it is still a little loose. You can use electrical tape or thin bicycle tube around the bar to increase tightness if you have snapped off the tab.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may have snapped the tab off of the switchgear, which is why it is still a little loose. You can use electrical tape or thin bicycle tube around the bar to increase tightness if you have snapped off the tab.
Thanks for the help. As it turns out I didn't snap the tab off, but I may have bent it or enlarged the hole (I didn't want to tear the whole thing apart, so I couldn't really see the hole). However, the simple fix I did was put 5 strips of electrical tape where the top screw pinches the bar and then cranked both screws back down, and we are good a new no more wiggle.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I think what happen is the locking nut on the throttle cable was put on by a gorilla, and I might have use too much force in freeing it. That force is what did something to the control assembly.
I am finding the same thing with most screws or bolts I had to remove from my X.

In order to install the rear hugger, the two small bolts holding the rear brake line to the swing arm had to be removed. With the proper 8mm box wrench, I was able to remove one with some effort. The second bolt had to be heated with a propane torch before it would come free. The brake line was protected with a 1x6 piece of pine lumber.

Saturday I tried to replace the hand grips, and to do so the screws holding the handlebar weights had to be removed. Holding the weight with one hand and trying to remove the screw with a #3 Phillips screwdriver with the other was awkward and did not work. The weight was fixed to the handlebar with many layers of tape, but even with two hands on the sturdy screwdriver the screw would not loosen. I tried a couple of taps with a hammer on the end of the screwdriver, but that old trick didn’t work. I tried an inexpensive T-wrench and broke the handle off it. So a pair of vice grip pliers were locked as tightly as I could to the screwdriver shaft just under the handle. Pushing on the screwdriver with my body weight and turning the vise grips with both hands finally broke the screw loose. The bottom half inch of the screw appeared rusty?

The same procedure was tried on the right hand weight, but no luck. I could feel this long screw flex, but it would not budge. As I was afraid of breaking the head off, I went and bought a manual impact driver. The screw was given a number of sturdy whacks, but would not give. Unfortunately because it is long and the throttle tube is plastic, I cannot use the propane torch.

I guess I will have to take this to the dealer to see if their shop personnel have a better way. If not I will have to drill the head of the screw off so I can remove the weight and access the screw shank with some bolt loosening fluid and the vice grips. Even then I am afraid it may shear off at the tip.

I think Honda better train the people that assemble these bikes to set their air wrenches properly. I have never had these kinds of problems with any of previous Japanese motorcycles I owned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts