Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

How do i put this piece back in?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Thrasherg 
#1 ·
Hello, so I am rebuilding a bike and I unscrewed this part attached to the engine located right beside the hose insert.

-I have no idea what this part is or what it does and whenci took it out of it's place and tried putting it back it it didn't fit, like something pushed in the way.

I have two engines and I was disesembling the wrecked and it did this to both of them, I am not sure if there is a certain way to put it in or a component is keeping me from doing so. Any feedback is welcome. Thank you!
Sorry if something like this was posted before, this is a cbr500r 2021 model.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Alloy wheel

Wood Gesture Office supplies Flooring Hardwood

Toy Wood Gesture Grey Beige

Wood Bicycle part Metal Woven fabric Auto part

Wood Jewellery Art Metal Auto part

Gas Rim Auto part Bicycle part Metal

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior

Auto part Tints and shades Cable Gun accessory Engineering

See less See more
#2 ·
It's the cam chain tensioner. It has a sequence to go back it. I would recommend the Haynes manual for this level of work.
There is a bolt that serves as a cap, remove it. Then you insert a small screwdriver into the end and turn clockwise to retract the plunger, then hold it. Fit a gasket, then slip into place and tighten the fasteners. Release and remove the small screwdriver.

#3 ·
As Wdn correctly states, that is the cam chain tensioner, when it is in the engine, it applies force to a rubber blade that tensions the cam chain and keeps it tight, the unit is designed so that the plunger can only go outwards, the cam chain cannot push the plunger back inwards when the engine is operating. When you removed it from the engine, the plunger came out fully and now you cannot put it back into the engine (it is too long). As stated you need to remove the bolt on the end of the tensioner, inside you should see a slot that you can put a straight head screwdriver into, insert a screwdriver and rotate the screw (It will only go in one direction, as you rotate it, you will see the plunger retract inside the housing, once you have fully retracted the plunger, you need to hold the screw driver in place and insert the unit into your engine (it helps to have a second person present to do this as you need 3 hands!!), tighten the 2 mounting bolts on the tensioner. Once the 2 bolts are tight, then gently let the screw driver rotate so that the plunger slowly moves outwards and re-tensions the cam chain. once the screw driver stops turning, remove it from the tensioner and then re insert the bolt that you removed from the end to seal the unit and stop oil/dirt getting in to the tensioner unit. Job done..

Regards Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.