Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for that. The power delivery seems very smooth and I could hardly hear the exhaust notes.

Oh and just notice this is your first post, welcome to the forum. :)

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Which one are you leaning more towards now? Or do you have no idea until you ride a CBR500X?

·
Registered
4 Posts
First off, thanks for the great review and videos. I really enjoyed them a lot. I am looking at the NC700X and the CB500X myself, but over here in Nova Scotia, Canada it's hard to find a dealer that will let you ride a bike (can't afford or get insurance). You almost always have to buy without a test ride. Anyway, I had a chance to ride the demo CB500F naked bike and really was impressed with it. Have you had a chance to ride the CB500X yet and if so what's your thoughts between the NC700X and the CB500X i.e. comfort, overall ride and fun factor? Are you planing on doing another video on the CB500X?

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Everyone.
Just picked my CBR500R up on Saturday, and I must say great little bike. My other bike is a CBR1100 XX Super Blackbird, but I've just started commuting daily - open road and lane splitting through traffic so thought I would get a CBR500R. My daily round trip is 100km so eating up the miles. I actually test rode a CBR250R and the CBR500R back to back. Loved the 250R but felt it would struggle with the daily mileage and needed to be a little quicker off the line to stick with traffic - get clear of the cars.

Having put the first 100km on the little 500R, I m surprised at how easy the bike is to ride. If I were a learner (been riding 13 years now) I would have no qualms about starting out on a 500R. The riding position is very upright, with very little grab distance to the clip-on bars, and the power delivery is smooth and "calm." Brakes don't look spectacular, but seem to grip just fine. Build quality, whilst not being nearly as good as the Blackbird, is still pretty good and the parallel twin sounds beautiful and silky. Like many, I could see an after-market slip-on can making its way onto my little pearl wonder at some stage.
Tonight I carry my son (13yr) home from swimming so interesting to see how he compares his pillion experience on this little bike to the Blackbird.
Not a huge fan of the digital Tacho, but once I get the feel of the bike, probably won't refer to it much. Currently I'm ensuring I don't push the bike into the red-line during running in.
My first service will be in two weeks (as I'm riding at least 500km/wk) so will update my "first thoughts" then.

Thus far the bike has exceeded my expectations for "heart" and "fun."

Ride bright and safe my friends.

Hamish

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First off, thanks for the great review and videos. I really enjoyed them a lot. I am looking at the NC700X and the CB500X myself, but over here in Nova Scotia, Canada it's hard to find a dealer that will let you ride a bike (can't afford or get insurance). You almost always have to buy without a test ride. Anyway, I had a chance to ride the demo CB500F naked bike and really was impressed with it. Have you had a chance to ride the CB500X yet and if so what's your thoughts between the NC700X and the CB500X i.e. comfort, overall ride and fun factor? Are you planing on doing another video on the CB500X?

Cheers

Chris
Thanks for viewing Chris. Since the video was made I have now purchased an Extreme Red CB500X and have done 1600 miles so far. It was definitely worth the wait in my opinion. For myself who is a short legged rider it is easier to handle than the heavier NC700X. The fuel economy is amazing, I am easily getting 300 plus miles from a tank of fuel. The on-board computer states 70m.p.g, but using my fuelly figures my best last time was 90m.p.g, yes it is hard to believe. It revs much better than the NC700X, as it runs out of puff at 6500 r.p.m.
The ride position is similar on both bikes and I found them both comfy. The CB500X takes bends in its stride and is a great commuting tool, I would rather filter through traffic on the CB500X than the heavier NC700X. I haven't toured on it yet, but I am sure this bike will take you anywhere. I have had it off road on a path/land rover track and it was no problem. The CB500X is the best all round bike at the moment in my opinion and at £1000 cheaper than the NC700X, it's a no brainer. If you have ridden the CB500F and were impressed, then you will love the CB500X.
I am working on a review video at the moment, but you will have bought one before I have edited and uploaded it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts