Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all new to the forum so i apologise if i’m in the wrong sub. As described in the title it sounds as if my clutch is being engaged ever so slightly when in neutral. Noise is similar to a scratching noise could also be a bearing issue. This sound immediately disappears if the clutch is pulled in even slightly. I recently swapped my clutch and break leavers over to aftermarket and shortly back to stock as the aftermarket felt cheap and awkwardly designed. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Your clutch is supposed to be engaged anytime you don't pull the lever in. Do you have the correct free play in the lever? Maybe the sound is because there is no free play and the clutch is slightly dis-engaging. (slipping).

·
Registered
293 Posts
It's a constant mesh transmission. When the clutch lever is released, it connects the crankshaft to the input shaft of the transmission. When it is in neutral, the gears and shafts are still turning inside, but there is no output to the drive sprockets other than some viscous friction from the oil. The noise goes away when the clutch lever is pulled in because the that separates the crankshaft motion from the transmission motion. In this video, notice how between :25-:30 the transmission is in neutral but stuff is still moving?

Motorcycle Transmission in action - YouTube

·
Registered
64 Posts
You may want to lift the rear of the bike and check that the rear tire stops spinning when the clutch is pulled in and the transmission is in 1st gear. Shortly after getting my bike I noticed that the shifter was engaging strangely (more pressure required, clunks during shifts) and it turned out that the clutch lever was adjusted incorrectly and never fully disengaged. You may not have this issue but I thought I'd mention it in case someone else is trying to figure out a similar problem.

·
Registered
149 Posts
As stated the clutch spins all the time, regardless if you are in gear or neutral, so the behavior is normal, the rattling that you hear is usually due to an uneven idle, caused by the throttle bodies being out of sync. You are not doing any harm to the engine, but if you want to reduce/eliminate the clutch rattle you probably need to get the throttle bodies balanced.
Gary

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your clutch is supposed to be engaged anytime you don't pull the lever in. Do you have the correct free play in the lever? Maybe the sound is because there is no free play and the clutch is slightly dis-engaging. (slipping).
ah thanks for your help, this seems the most likely and makes sense considering my recent adjustment of the clutch lever. I’ll try to get some more play in the clutch cable and see how it goes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts