Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

How many of you guys in here do work and maintain your motorcycles yourself? Do you guys plan to do maintain / service your Honda CBR500? or do you just send it to the dealership or bike shop to do it?

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
As a corporate drone, i do not have time even for changing the oil. You burn your warranty as well if you do not service it at honda and get your service book stamped.
recently established honda big bike service has modern standards and staff trained in japan fortunately.
Anyway, no chance!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Every bike Ive owned I have bought an extended warranty as I am not a gear head. I am fortunate to have a relative who is the GM of a powerhouse so with every service I only pay the cost of synthetic oil. Only thing I do is clean and maintain the chain.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Well, I usually buy used and do all of my own routine maintenance work, including shim under bucket valve adjustment.

However, I'm a lazy old coot and take the wheels in to my FLIBS for new tires.

FLIBS = friendly local independent bike shop

Reactions: Nuvolari

·
Registered
145 Posts
just took mine in for its first service, i have the extended warranty and barring no major malfunctions i may take it in for valve adjustments as needed but that would be it, i 'll handle everything else (except for mounting new tires, as i hav decided not to get the tire press or balancer lol)

·
Registered
149 Posts
As a corporate drone, i do not have time even for changing the oil. You burn your warranty as well if you do not service it at honda and get your service book stamped.
recently established honda big bike service has modern standards and staff trained in japan fortunately.
Anyway, no chance!
Loserlaser, please don't mislead the readers by saying that you burn your warranty if you don't have it serviced at the Honda dealer. That may be true where you live, but not everywhere else. In the US, for example, it is illegal for the manufacturer or dealer to make such a stipulation. If you keep your receipts and record your mileage and the corresponding dates of your own service and it's apparent that you've performed the service correctly, your warranty cannot be voided. That practice has been outlawed for years in this country.

Sorry for the correction, and thanks for your input and service to this forum.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can do the regular maintenance myself (change the oil, clean the chain). It's not that hard. I had a Honda car for a while and have never had any issues with regular maintenance. I won't be getting the 600 mile service as I have a 2014 and it does not state it in the manual. I am confident with their build quality.

·
Registered
145 Posts
DSc mine's a 14' and the dealership i've recently switched to and purchased mine from had told me to bring it in for the break-in service, i'v never heard of one not needing a break-in, i looked at the manual long enuf to find the hdlight adjustment for aim and its been sitting on the same shelf where i dropped it since lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
DSc mine's a 14' and the dealership i've recently switched to and purchased mine from had told me to bring it in for the break-in service, i'v never heard of one not needing a break-in, i looked at the manual long enuf to find the hdlight adjustment for aim and its been sitting on the same shelf where i dropped it since lol
I changed the oil/filter at 250 miles and there were no metallic bits in the oil. Will be changing again shortly. Im at 612 miles and the only problem I've had is the R&G frame slider bolt breaking :pissedoff Hit a deep manhole cover, heard a metallic "tink" and something hitting my shoe. Stopped at the next light and found it had broken off. Now it's sitting at home and I'm waiting for the new "engine hanger collar" spacer to come in. Need to extract the broken bolt too.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
I do all the routine stuff myself. If anything major comes up I'd have a local independent do it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
ouch sounds like a hard hit, how long it take too ride out the other side of that hole?
Bought a Titan reverse drill/screw extractor set from O'Rileys, gonna try to get the bolt out when I get the spacer in.

·
Registered
145 Posts
hope it goes well :) my last one was me laying on my back drilling up into the underside of the forward head on a v4 exhaust stud that twisted off-yay gd times lol

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
hope it goes well :) my last one was me laying on my back drilling up into the underside of the forward head on a v4 exhaust stud that twisted off-yay gd times lol
The reason for routinely using anti-seize when re-installing parts is becoming apparent to me. :smilecolour

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Change my own oil, rest I leave to the dealership until warranty is up.

Reactions: SeriousGarry
1 - 16 of 16 Posts