Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instrument cluster on the CBR500 is digital. I know some people rather have analog over digital and vise-versa, but what do you guys prefer....

Digital Instrument Cluster?

or

Analog Instrument Cluster?

CBR500 Digital Instrument Cluster:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know riding a motorcycle is supposed to be about "how to get around with the bare minimum" but I'm a big tech guy. So I would prefer a well laid out digital dash to any analog dash instruments.

It's quicker to look down and see "72" on the speedometer than it is to look down and see a hand between 70 and 75 on the analog speedometer and have to mentally make the estimation of speed in your head while trying to remain safe in traffic.

For me, my ideal bike dash would have a digital tach, speedometer, fuel gague, tire pressure monitor, and have a small screen that would be blue tooth compatible and show just the arrow's and mileage to destination from my cellphones google maps/navigation system. But from what I can tell I'm not your average motorcycle rider. :D

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Speedo: either is okay, maybe digital preferred to get an exact number.

Tacho: definitely analogue. Nothing is easier to glance down and see than a needle inside a dial. Dont need to look at the number, just what "o'clock" it is at :) as opposed "how far along that straight bit is it????"

Fuel and temp: whatever ;-)

Dave

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
The digital is the better featured option but I can't help but think it will fail one day. The analog cluster will likely last longer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The only time digital electronic anything goes belly up is when it is exposed to water/electric damage. I suppose that is more likely on a motorcycle than a car but as a general rule of thumb they'll work for many many years.

By the time they do malfunction we'll probably be using something like google's glasses to see speed without having to take our eyes off the road.

Google Glass for Motorcycles

·
Registered
37 Posts
The digital is the better featured option but I can't help but think it will fail one day. The analog cluster will likely last longer.
Yup. At least with Analog instrument clusters they fail part by part (from my experience) with cars and bikes, so you might have some faulty things with it but it`s still functional!

But with a digital instrument cluster like this one, if something fails the whole unit will typically be useless.

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
Theres has been digital tachometer on other motorcycles in the past but mostly premium ones. Its huge that Honda started to offer this as a standard now. It's ! Nice looking gauge I see some similarity of it to a Honda S2000's digital tachometer. There hasnt been any issue of these digital tachometers of malfunctions i the past. That would be a serious issue because the mileage is based off the tachometer itself.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Its huge that Honda started to offer this as a standard now.
Its a current fad, thats all - all makes are offering them now, most bikes now dont have analogue tacho's...in a couple years, they will all turn back to analogue...then digitial...life is a wheel :)

a serious issue because the mileage is based off the tachometer itself.
Huh? How so? My CBR250R has an issue where the speedometer jumps around when I'm actually holding constant...and the rpm's are also constant...and the odometer runs off the speedometer or vice verso (because the "speedo healer" product is known to affect both speed and distance, but not rpm of course).

So the tachometer is not driving the odometer or speedometer in the CBR250R...and I can't see why the 500 would be any different. Without knowing what gear you are in rpms cannot be converted into distance/speed...

Dave

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Theres has been digital tachometer on other motorcycles in the past but mostly premium ones. Its huge that Honda started to offer this as a standard now. It's ! Nice looking gauge I see some similarity of it to a Honda S2000's digital tachometer. There hasnt been any issue of these digital tachometers of malfunctions i the past. That would be a serious issue because the mileage is based off the tachometer itself.
That is true. if the tachometer can't reach 400,000 miles that would probably cause problems.

But what about cars that are at like 1 million miles?! :D Would a digital tach last that long? :eek: Of course I don't think the CBR500 will last 1 million miles. At least not with an original motor :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wonder when Honda will start putting these digital instrument clusters on more mainstream bikes like the CBR 250. This technology is getting cheaper, good example is the mass amounts of cheap cars with them. Maybe in the future model update the CBR250 will move up from this...

to something along the lines of what the CBR500 has.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I dont like these digital cluster and tachometers, its just too flashy for my eyes. Theres nothing like good old dependable analog tachometer. I can't see the digital cluster lasting too long, when you compare it to a care the tach is enclosed but on a bike its exposed to the elements. I can see water possibly seeping in to it and causing shorts when the seals give in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It pretty much comes down to personal preference. Even for a digital gauge it is simple and straightforward everything is right there where it should be.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
i was septic too about the digital instrument cluster especially for the rev counter but after some use, i found it more comfortable and easy to read than a bigger analog one. Less eye movement, focus your eyes and all info is there.
And i do not think so it will have any problem regarding rain or sun as it is made in Thailand for also Asian market on mind and Thailand/Asia is wet and sunny all the time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Instrument cluster on the CBR500 is digital. I know some people rather have analog over digital and vise-versa, but what do you guys prefer....

Digital Instrument Cluster?

or

Analog Instrument Cluster?

CBR500 Digital Instrument Cluster:
ok so thats a cb500f cluster right???? the cbr500r has a higher rpm range..or am i wrong????

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Nice to see the 500 comes with Hondas security system. Another bonus! My cbf1000 had it.

Reactions: CBR_Dave

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
the color of the backlight is different too for the bikes.
cbr500r gets white, cb500f gets blue and cb500x gets yellow and once you turn of the engine, the backlight fade out slowly and nicely, which is a nice touch from Honda.
both bikes have the same engine and rpm range and instrument cluster apart from backlight color.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Thailand/Asia is wet and sunny all the time.
You can say that again! I didnt think about it when I spent 4 weeks working in Malaysia...turned up in long pants and long sleeved business shirts ...torrential rain every night and was >30C by 9am every day...can you spell "instant purchase of new clothes" LOL.

Dave

Reactions: loserlazer

·
Registered
89 Posts
cbr500r gets white, cb500f gets blue and cb500x gets yellow and once you turn of the engine, the backlight fade out slowly and nicely, which is a nice touch from Honda.
both bikes have the same engine and rpm range and instrument cluster apart from backlight color.
thanks somethin i didnt know....lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
oh and are all three bikes the same in rpm range

1 - 20 of 23 Posts