Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

521 - 530 of 530 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Do you get better gas mileage if you Scott your butt all the way back on the driver seat and duck your head and body all the way forward vs sitting straight up? I am experimenting with this and want to say yes. Anybody else experience this?
Of course you would. You'd be producing less drag. But you'll pay for the savings 100x over in chiropractic bills eventually.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Only on my second tank now on new '19 CBR500R.

First tank: 2.9 L/100km (81 US MPG) of mostly relaxed riding around at lowish speeds, some freeway at higher speeds, some parking lot practice. Shifts usually pretty early. Refilled at 487km and took 14.5L (should have 2.8L left)

Second tank so far showing 3.0 L/100km of freeway and suburban riding with pretty frequent stop/starts.

On-board computer seems to be quite accurate in terms of fuel used and consumption so far. Interestingly, here are the approximate consumption rates based on speed:
60-70 km/h in 6th = 2.1 to 2.3 L/100km (102 to 112 US MPG)
80-90 km/h = 2.7 to 3.2 L/100km (73 to 87 US MPG)
100-120 km/h = 3.3 to 3.7 L/100km (63 to 71 US MPG)

Seems like keeping it under 80 km/h returns incredible fuel economy and could get over 800 km on a single tank. Not sure I'd want to go 800 km at 70 km/h though.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Only on my second tank now on new '19 CBR500R.

First tank: 2.9 L/100km (81 US MPG) of mostly relaxed riding around at lowish speeds, some freeway at higher speeds, some parking lot practice. Shifts usually pretty early. Refilled at 487km and took 14.5L (should have 2.8L left)

Second tank so far showing 3.0 L/100km of freeway and suburban riding with pretty frequent stop/starts.

On-board computer seems to be quite accurate in terms of fuel used and consumption so far. Interestingly, here are the approximate consumption rates based on speed:
60-70 km/h in 6th = 2.1 to 2.3 L/100km (102 to 112 US MPG)
80-90 km/h = 2.7 to 3.2 L/100km (73 to 87 US MPG)
100-120 km/h = 3.3 to 3.7 L/100km (63 to 71 US MPG)

Seems like keeping it under 80 km/h returns incredible fuel economy and could get over 800 km on a single tank. Not sure I'd want to go 800 km at 70 km/h though.
It's good on fuel if you want it to be. Do you like the bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's good on fuel if you want it to be. Do you like the bike.
Love it. Looks great, rides well, and very economical to buy and run. It's my 4th bike... I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the smooth whine of an inline 4 (or 3 for that matter). It's just as well as one less reason to wind it out, and it does sound decent in its own way.

Only wish it had a little more comfortable of a seat and better headlights/high beams. They don't light up much when you're cornering with a lean. The high beam is very narrow and dead-ahead.

·
Registered
183 Posts
They are fantastic for what they are. We all complain about the power,but to be honest I suffer with red mist and this bike keeps me safe. My bike is the f model and the lights are fantastic by the way. Pleased you are getting on ok with the bike .

·
Registered
289 Posts
The 2016 has traditional indicators, but the headlamp and tail/stop lights are LED. Which means it cannot be easily replaced by a better bulb.

The first time I rode at night on it was on a motorway and I felt like I could not see. Thankfully I was able to sit behind a lorry most of the way. But the sign of how bad the headlamp is is that you can have it on full beam without it annoying any other drivers.

This is why I want some good LED spotlights. I have the brackets now (I think the ones you bought, from AliExpress) but I just need to find some suitable lamps that can throw the distance far enough.

I would like ones with low and high beams, but annoyingly all of the ones on eBay etc. also have a flashing mode and you need to cycle through all of them to change.

·
Registered
11 Posts
They are fantastic for what they are. We all complain about the power,but to be honest I suffer with red mist and this bike keeps me safe. My bike is the f model and the lights are fantastic by the way. Pleased you are getting on ok with the bike .
Honestly, even though I've had bikes with twice the power, I don't find myself wanting more with this one. It has lots of power down low making it great for riding around town and not fussing about with gears and jerky engine behaviour. The appeal of the bike to me is having plenty of useable power up to highway speeds, while being really fuel efficient.

The most fun I had riding was my first bike (ZZR (Ninja) 250, before the 2008 remodel). It was slower than the 500R but how much of that really matters? Was touring all over, riding with friends and even a passenger much of the time. Power is only one factor of riding to me and the 500R has more than enough to make for a great experience, while getting better mileage than bikes with less power even.

521 - 530 of 530 Posts