Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

501 - 520 of 536 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah, I'm seem to be doing 65 US mpg over and over with my local riding. I can go about 250 miles/tank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just did a ride up to Lake Tahoe last week; got gas in Jackson, up to Carson Pass on 88, around Tahoe then back to Sacramento. 243 miles, 3.0 gallons! Back in the Bay Area this week, refueled and was back down to about 65 mpg. Pretty remarkable mileage.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I changed from Honda's basic 10W30 to a Motul semi-syn 10W-30 oil a few weeks ago. I had been doing 65-70 US mpg. On the most recent fill, I was just a fraction shy of 80 US mpg with pretty much the same riding routines. I could attribute some of it to the oil, I suppose. Maybe it's more a matter of the engine breaking in (2400 miles) ?

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I changed from Honda's basic 10W30 to a Motul semi-syn 10W-30 oil a few weeks ago. I had been doing 65-70 US mpg. On the most recent fill, I was just a fraction shy of 80 US mpg with pretty much the same riding routines. I could attribute some of it to the oil, I suppose. Maybe it's more a matter of the engine breaking in (2400 miles) ?
Also, warmer weather and summer gas mix.

Reactions: Smaug

·
Registered
465 Posts
If I am just putting around & not Taking it much over 5 grand I get in the low 70mpg range. If I am hitting 6-7 grand the mileage drops to the mid to low 60 mpg range.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Some data points, from my new 2015:

Cruising at 40 mph: 90+ mpg
50 = 80 mpg
60 = 65-70 mpg

·
Registered
335 Posts
@%1;
First full tank, averaged 75 mpg. Mine's a 2015.
^ This was general suburban riding. Taking it easy (mostly short-shifting for break-in)

I just finished a tank that was mostly expressway at 75 mph. It was 66 mpg for that tank. I can see why folks like the 16T countershaft sprocket.

ludespeedny said:
Do you guys check using the trip meter 1 and reset it on fill up, or do it the manual way?
I'm doing both. The manual way seems to be more accurate, since the computer seems to start from 0 mpg and keep recalculating the average throughout the tank.

What I'm doing now is resetting Trip B with each fill up, leaving Trip A to keep calculating the running average. (and disable the auto-reset for Trip A, in case I run the tank down low) The running average is getting to be more realistic now. For example, it's showing 66 mpg and the last tank WAS 66 mpg, calculated.

When I go on a road trip, I'll probably use Trip A for tank specs and Trip B for its actual intended purpose.

One thing to keep in mind with the manually calculated method: We can't fill up the tank to the same point every time. All we can do is get close. So the running average calculated by the bike MAY actually be more accurate.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I looked back a few pages and didn't see anything re. how much expressway fuel economy improved with a 16T front sprocket. Anyone?

Also, for those of you who have been concerned you might not make it to the next gas station, did you reduce your speed to 35 mph to get top fuel economy? It's slow and painful, but not as much as pushing the bike!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Been keeping track of my mileage over the past few fillups. US 2017 500F, stock. After market windshield. Mostly city and back roads riding. US gallons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you get better gas mileage if you Scott your butt all the way back on the driver seat and duck your head and body all the way forward vs sitting straight up? I am experimenting with this and want to say yes. Anybody else experience this?

·
Registered
379 Posts
$2.75 a gallon? If only fuel was that cheap here. Currently £1.35 a litre, which is about $6.60 a gallon...

·
Registered
823 Posts
I was working in Saudi Arabia a few years back where drinking water is more expensive than premium petrol...

501 - 520 of 536 Posts