Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

481 - 500 of 536 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
I normally get around 70mpg , when I have trip 1 70 miles on the odometer I go & buy1 gallon of gas which fills the tank. To get the best mpg start @ 12-13 thousand & ride downhill to sea level. Might get over 80 mpg if the distance is only 6 miles . LOL??

·
Registered
561 Posts
i average 55-60

This is what I also consistently get with "spirited" commuting miles (street/hwy = 50/50). Engine and exhaust are stock, but added weight of rack & top box.
If I'm pleasure-riding through the Sierra Nevada's I get between 65-75 MPG.
I log every tank with an app on my phone.

EDIT: I wish I could say I'm getting the same about my oil consumption.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
One of these days I need to get on level ground and hold the bike at like 60 mph and see what I get for MPG.

Been thinking about a trip down 50 through Nevada out to Ely, just to get a nice feel for a long haul trip on this bike with full camping gear strap on the back. Then my second day stop over in MOAB. Return trip through all the rock formations and back to 50 and home. Last time I did that trip it was on my Bonneville and had a couple close calls with running out of fuel. Really had to be careful with a couple of legs with that smaller tank. It was a constant stress factor since there are more then a few legs that put be close to the run out point. That would not be as bad with this bike.

·
Registered
561 Posts
One of these days I need to get on level ground and hold the bike at like 60 mph and see what I get for MPG.

Been thinking about a trip down 50 through Nevada out to Ely, just to get a nice feel for a long haul trip on this bike with full camping gear strap on the back. Then my second day stop over in MOAB. Return trip through all the rock formations and back to 50 and home. Last time I did that trip it was on my Bonneville and had a couple close calls with running out of fuel. Really had to be careful with a couple of legs with that smaller tank. It was a constant stress factor since there are more then a few legs that put be close to the run out point. That would not be as bad with this bike.

Ive got a 1 gal Rotopax for extra range, but haven't had the occasion to use it. The most extra fuel I've actually carried at this point was two 30oz MSR bottles, which in the end I never actually needed to use. Good for that extra safety margin though.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Ive got a 1 gal Rotopax for extra range, but haven't had the occasion to use it. The most extra fuel I've actually carried at this point was two 30oz MSR bottles, which in the end I never actually needed to use. Good for that extra safety margin though.[/QUOTE]

I picked up one of those bottles after that trip, have not use it as of yet.

I could use it with the Bonneville but don't see a need for it with the Honda.

Chances are if you ran out, that little bottle should be enough to get you to safety, just the peace of mind alone a stress reliever.

That trip with those long legs end up stressing me out almost at least once or twice a day. Sometimes the only thing I could even think about, the next gas stop and if I'd make it or not.

Riding conditions out in the western states can get that way. 50 going through Nevada, you better pay attention. Same for that MOAB area.

When I lived back east, never had an issue with gas stops at all. Can't ever remember legs over 100 miles.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I monitor my gas mileage and i don't understand how you guys are getting 60 mpg unless you are just full throttle any chance you get. I take off quick and maintain speed. I release the gas when i see stopping ahead so as to not need my brakes very often. 65 is the least i've gotten and i usually get around 80mpg, Consistently.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I monitor my gas mileage and i don't understand how you guys are getting 60 mpg unless you are just full throttle any chance you get. I take off quick and maintain speed. I release the gas when i see stopping ahead so as to not need my brakes very often. 65 is the least i've gotten and i usually get around 80mpg, Consistently.
US gallons? You have to do the math, not rely on the computer's estimate.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Ive got a 1 gal Rotopax for extra range, but haven't had the occasion to use it. The most extra fuel I've actually carried at this point was two 30oz MSR bottles, which in the end I never actually needed to use. Good for that extra safety margin though.
Plus the MSR bottles can fuel your stove.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I picked up one of those bottles for extra fuel over at REI for my Bonneville. Have never used it yet. Last long trip on that bike almost ran out of gas 3 times. Got home and the first thing I did purchased the little bottle, have not taken that bike on a long trip since then so that bottles sits collecting dust.

Next long trip I'll don on the Honda since it can get almost twice the MPG as the Bonneville, at least a 1/3rd better anyway even pushed hard.

Don't think I'll need that bottle either.

I had trouble with the 100 mile fuel legs on that trip since I end up in some very remote locations going to and coming from the MOAB area, plus utilizing I-50 the loneliest road in America.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I am never less than avg 65 mpg as well.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hand calculated comes out in the mid 50's, the average MPG display is usually in the high 40's. Actual mileage is a little higher, since I have a larger rear tire.

I weigh a lot more than average, and I'm running tires that are quite a bit heavier than the factory ones, so my mileage is worse than most.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
For the past two summers I have consistently gotten 82-84 mpg, (Imperial gallon) on my 2014 CB500FA. (which converts to 68-70 miles per US gallon) I weigh about 215 lbs and ride pretty aggressively. I always work out my mileage precisely, rather than to rely on the far-from-accurate readings from the bike's computer.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
The real question: imperial or US? :spin

481 - 500 of 536 Posts