Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 522 Posts

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
Just read an article on the review of the Honda CBR500 and with a slightly aggressive drive the rider was able to get 5.2L per 100kms. So whatever that is in MPGs.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
That's about 45 mpg, and it seems in line with (albeit a bit lower than) what LoserLazer was getting, which I figured to be about 50 mpg. I'm hoping that 50 is a little low, but since I get about 40-45 from my CB700SC, it's still an improvement in efficiency (I doubt I'll miss the much greater power, as I don't get to use it often).

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
That makes my old bike w/~30K miles seem like a penny pincher.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
I am getting 19 km per liter on my **** commute nowdays. But i like to drive aggressively and it needs to be this way in Thailand.
A recent 200 km trip outside of bangkok through mountains got 22 km per liter but highway was pretty busy so rarely passed 130 - 140 kmh. ( on the way i got a flat tire by chance 200 meters away a tire shop.)
As a comparison, i was getting 21 - 22 km per liter on my **** commute on cbr250 and nearly the same while touring on it.

I say fuel efficiency of cbr500 is pretty OK for me:) but not like as advertised same as cbr250.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am getting 19 km per liter on my **** commute nowdays. But i like to drive aggressively and it needs to be this way in Thailand.
A recent 200 km trip outside of bangkok through mountains got 22 km per liter but highway was pretty busy so rarely passed 130 - 140 kmh. ( on the way i got a flat tire by chance 200 meters away a tire shop.)
As a comparison, i was getting 21 - 22 km per liter on my **** commute on cbr250 and nearly the same while touring on it.

I say fuel efficiency of cbr500 is pretty OK for me:) but not like as advertised same as cbr250.
19 MPG is crazy, you should post up a video of one of your daily commutes so we can see how crazy you have to ride through thailand.

I will be using my CBR500 as a commuter and bike i will push hard when the time calls for it so on average im hoping to get 40-45 MPG, maybe even 50 MPG.

Eventually we should create some gas mileage logs in a thread!

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
19 MPG is crazy, you should post up a video of one of your daily commutes so we can see how crazy you have to ride through thailand.

I will be using my CBR500 as a commuter and bike i will push hard when the time calls for it so on average im hoping to get 40-45 MPG, maybe even 50 MPG.

but i am still hard breaking the engine, that is why the fuel consumption is a bit higher.
After some time, i guess, i will sit on an average of 20 km per liter in city and 23 on highway.
By the way, the instrument cluster shows the current fuel consumption and if you use like around 4000 - 6000 rpm, it shows 3,8 liter per 100 km so if needed and if driven legally:D, it can be pretty economical. It shows 120 - 130 kmh on 6th gear as 4,0 liter per 100 km.
It also shows the full fuel consumption on tripmeter 'a' last 2280 km i used 137 liters of petrol it says with an average of 6,0 liter per 100 km!!! it shows little more consumption that my calculations.

·
Registered
23 Posts
but i am still hard breaking the engine, that is why the fuel consumption is a bit higher.
After some time, i guess, i will sit on an average of 20 km per liter in city and 23 on highway.
By the way, the instrument cluster shows the current fuel consumption and if you use like around 4000 - 6000 rpm, it shows 3,8 liter per 100 km so if needed and if driven legally:D, it can be pretty economical. It shows 120 - 130 kmh on 6th gear as 4,0 liter per 100 km.
It also shows the full fuel consumption on tripmeter 'a' last 2280 km i used 137 liters of petrol it says with an average of 6,0 liter per 100 km!!! it shows little more consumption that my calculations.
It's going to be tough to ride legally on a CBR500, we are buying this bike for more reasons than just to get too and from where we have to go haha. Otherwise we would be getting CBR250's, but there's not much fun in one of those after a certain point.

Would you say your calculations are more accurate than whats shown on the bike?

·
Registered
38 Posts

I almost made the same mistake lol. 19mpg would be ridiculous but he said 19km per liter. I second that he should post of a video of his commute.

·
Registered
175 Posts
19 mpg?! I know thailands traffic is crazy and all but ****. You must be pulling some serious stunts like 007 burning that much fuel. What is your average speed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm amazed at those fuel consumption figures. Ive got a CBR250R and the worst L/100 km i got from a day at the track was 3.5L/100km = 28.5km/L. Daily commuting normally returns about 32km/L (65km round trip). The NC700 (670cc parallel twin) is supposed to do about 27km/L. I can only assume the fuel is not the same in Thailand? What was the top speed of your cbr250r Loserlazer?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thats not that bad 19km per 100L. Now if that were 19mpgs you must have leak somewhere or revving s little too much. Speaking of fuel which fuel do you guys use in your bike and which octane? I notice whenever i use a higher octane with the same driving style i get less mileage.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Guys, do not forget i use gasohol 95 octane not pure benzyne so it goes around 5 percent less than normal benzyne.
And i am not saying the calculator is not showing the truth but i use full tank method while doing these calculations.
And all my facts are based on km and liter not gallon or miles, just keep in mind. I do not have a leak or something:)

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
I'm amazed at those fuel consumption figures. Ive got a CBR250R and the worst L/100 km i got from a day at the track was 3.5L/100km = 28.5km/L. Daily commuting normally returns about 32km/L (65km round trip). The NC700 (670cc parallel twin) is supposed to do about 27km/L. I can only assume the fuel is not the same in Thailand? What was the top speed of your cbr250r Loserlazer?
To be honest, my cbr250 is fully modded with aftermarket chip, pipe and air filter:)
Still i never reach your numbers even in stock form.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thats not that bad 19km per 100L. Now if that were 19mpgs you must have leak somewhere or revving s little too much. Speaking of fuel which fuel do you guys use in your bike and which octane? I notice whenever i use a higher octane with the same driving style i get less mileage.
What! you think 19km per 100L is good? that is 12 miles per 22 Imperial Gallons i.e. half of one mpg!

Even if you meant 19Km per 1L that's still rubbish for a puny little commuter. if it doesn't get as much as the NC700 the bike will be a non starter.

At least MCN state that Honda claim 80mpg (Imperial not US) so if that is true it will be OK.

·
Registered
120 Posts

Ryder, I guess u r from US and u r mixing the measuring units.

1MPG(miles per gallon) = 0.425144 KPL (kilometers per liter)

To make the conversion easier for you:

1KPL = 2.352145 MPG

so after some simple multiplication
19KPL= aprox. 44.7MPG
23KPL = aprox. 54.1MPG

Hope this will clear out the confusion... And personally think that this are not bad numbers.

1 - 20 of 522 Posts