Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I was recently in an accident and needed to do a major overhaul on my 2015 CB500F, I completely removed and replaced the back frame, all the fairings, fenders, brake light, and turn signals. I also replaced the front forks, front wheel, radiator, and horn. For about a week it was working perfectly. Then I try and take it out one day and the display stops working, no back light, no display, no numbers, no indicator lights, dead. Then I find out my brake light, turn signals, and horn don't work either. I saw that there was a blown fuse for the tail lights, replaced it with the spare and blew that immediately. Weird thing is the bike starts and runs just fine. Stripped down the back frame all the way and couldn't find a pinched wire. Looking at the front now, is there anything that I should be looking for? Has this happened to anyone? What should happen if I can't find anything on the front end? Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello!
I was recently in an accident and needed to do a major overhaul on my 2015 CB500F, I completely removed and replaced the back frame, all the fairings, fenders, brake light, and turn signals. I also replaced the front forks, front wheel, radiator, and horn. For about a week it was working perfectly. Then I try and take it out one day and the display stops working, no back light, no display, no numbers, no indicator lights, dead. Then I find out my brake light, turn signals, and horn don't work either. I saw that there was a blown fuse for the tail lights, replaced it with the spare and blew that immediately. Weird thing is the bike starts and runs just fine. Stripped down the back frame all the way and couldn't find a pinched wire. Looking at the front now, is there anything that I should be looking for? Has this happened to anyone? What should happen if I can't find anything on the front end? Any help would be appreciated!
Aloha! looks like your post was from a while ago.. Did you ever figure it out? I just replaced my handlebars on my 2014 CB500F after laying it down a few weeks ago. once I put it back together the display wouldn't work only my headlights and high beams. brake lights and turn signal don't work and nothing on the display except the blue high beam indicator if it's in use.. It drives just fine.. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Aloha! looks like your post was from a while ago.. Did you ever figure it out? I just replaced my handlebars on my 2014 CB500F after laying it down a few weeks ago. once I put it back together the display wouldn't work only my headlights and high beams. brake lights and turn signal don't work and nothing on the display except the blue high beam indicator if it's in use.. It drives just fine.. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Just happened the same to me yesterday in my CB500X 2016 after installing handlebars risers... Did you figure out the reason? I guess I might have loosed some connector while rising the handlebars just don't know which one.

·
Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
1,197 Posts
Did you check the 7.5A TAILS/STOP/HORN fuse in fuse box #1?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you check the 7.5A TAILS/STOP/HORN fuse in fuse box #1?
Yep. It was fused so replaced for the spare one and all worked for some seconds. The moment I just turned a bit the handlebars, the new fuse was fused as well. So I guess there is something producing a shortcircuit now I need to guess what when I can buy some more spare fuses. Main suspect are some instruments I have connected in the auxiliary end under the seat, but it's a bit weird for me those go to the same fuse as display, horn and turn lights...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just happened the same to me yesterday in my CB500X 2016 after installing handlebars risers... Did you figure out the reason? I guess I might have loosed some connector while rising the handlebars just don't know which one.
Hey man, yea I had a wire that was exposed and kept shorting one of the fuse’s. The fuse however didn’t look blown so I was confused. I found the exposed copper and just had to electrical tape wrap it I think for some reason i wasn’t able to get the electrical components onto the bars as flush as they were before and they were twisting a bit while forcing. Good luck!

·
Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
1,197 Posts
Yep. It was fused so replaced for the spare one and all worked for some seconds. The moment I just turned a bit the handlebars, the new fuse was fused as well. So I guess there is something producing a shortcircuit now I need to guess what when I can buy some more spare fuses. Main suspect are some instruments I have connected in the auxiliary end under the seat, but it's a bit weird for me those go to the same fuse as display, horn and turn lights...
You need to look at the wiring that's affected when the handle bars are moved up.

Carefully look at the wiring to the right side (starter button, stop switch, front brake switch and hazard switch (if equipped)) and left side (clutch switch, turn-signal, dimmer and horn switch) controls for evidence they've been stretched and/or are coming into contact with the frame or other grounded metal.

When checking, carefully move the steering head full left to full right to see if any of the wiring is getting stretched by the movement of the bar.

The option plugs front and rear are fused on a separate 7.5A fuse (OP, in fuse box #2); if you have a short there I wouldn't expect other systems to be affected. Definitely check your added wiring but given the symptoms, the problem is going to lie in the factory wiring affected by the bar lift.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts