Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just popped over there with the wife to see if there were any goodies for these bikes yet and to have a moan at the manager with regard to a couple of things.

They have the Moriwaki and another Japanese brand name exhaust systems in the region of ฿30k - I'll pass.

They had an Italian brand slip-on for ฿18k which was fitted to a demo bike and sounded pretty good. Still way too much money in my opinion. I'll probably spend about ฿8k for a slip-on at some point from a Thai manufacturer.

With regard to servicing, there is no waiting list. Bring the bike in in the morning and collect in the afternoon. Servicing is between ฿2k & ฿3k depending on which oil you ask them to use. They change the oil filter as a matter of course - I double checked.

The service chap asked how the bike was and I told him that it's fine now that the oil is at the correct level. He immediately came out to look at the bike and asked the usual questions (was the bike level, how much oil did you use, etc). I didn't get a sorry out of him, but he showed concern, so that was close enough for me.

I also asked the service manager why he hadn't phoned me in response to my query of getting a handbook in English. He did the inane Thai smile and got a copy from the service area, so they are available in Thailand (even though it's a CBR500R, not a CB500F - close enough).

We then went the long way home and stopped off at the mechanic where my 750 is to see where he's at with the few things I asked him to do and had a Coke and a nice chat about bikes.

All in all a successful afternoon (albeit a HOT one).

·
Registered
279 Posts
no waiting? too cool!

I made my appointment and was told it would be 2 months. A day or two ago I was worried about going over the 1000km before the service so i called to inquire about warantee. I was told they only have 2 mechanics but as of this week they will have 3 new hires so the wait shouldn't be so long.

Cool, Ill have to ask about an English manual. I also want a service manual in English, dont know if they are printed yet.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had an interesting afternoon today.

I met with some Honda mechanics and one of the Japanese design team. Some owners were invited to give their thougts about the bike and have it checked over FOC by a group of top mechanics from the factory. AND... I got 2 model bikes for my shelf (CBR1000RRXX & VFR1200 - tight bar stewards wouldn't give me the full sized ones :( )

Here's my hansum self with Mr Naoshi Iizuka who was one of the main designers of the new CB500s.

They spent an inordinate amount of time on a young lady's bike compared with mine, but she was quite fit and she did have a nice aftermarket pipe. When they got to mine, they did comment that my oil level was a little bit higher than the norm, so I explained that it was a bit lower than the norm when I got it. They say it should be midway between the max & min lines on the sight-glass.

It seemed I was the only one who hadn't valeted my bike before taking it there.

Overall, I was happy to be able to give feedback directly to the design team, even though I think the translator had his work cut out because he was mainly there to translate Thai to Japanese. To his credit, Mr Iizuka did speak a bit of English and I'm sure was trying to hit on my missus :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
While we were waiting, we were looked after with free coffee and cheesecake. As you can see above, I don't need any cheesecake, but I thought it would be rude to decline their generosity. The Honda Big Wing outlets have rather nice coffee shops, but the only photo I've got is me being a dick, so I'll not post it.

They do have some very expensive Mugen and Moriwaki exhausts for sale.

^ Yes, that's 50,5600 Baht!

They also have some luggage courtesy of Hepco & Becker.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As well as the 500s, they have a load of 700s and a few big beasties.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You would think with all this SkyDrive malarkey that posting pics would be easy, but plugging in a camera would have taken a fraction of the time. Live & learn...

Last 2 pics, cos I like them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Those are the first pics I've seen of panniers fitted to a CBR500R. Massive aren't they! In my case I think they would be overkill and I bet the wind resistance is substantial. I think I prefer the factory ones advertised in the Honda UK brochure ( http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/_assets/downloads/brochures/accessory/CBR500R.pdf ) but no idea how to get them in Thailand and I'd certainly want to see them or see proper photos before finding a way to get them from UK. Marmite, thanks for sharing, it's all good and interesting stuff.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Great report and great pictures. I see you're a little more triggerhappy than me. Good! :) But no picture of the back step kit?:confused:

And you should have started a new thread for this. I nearly missed your post.:)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But no picture of the back step kit?
Do you mean a rear set?

No, I didn't take a pic of them. I think I was still in shock at the price of the exhausts.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Do you mean a rear set?

No, I didn't take a pic of them. I think I was still in shock at the price of the exhausts.

Yeah, I almost couldn't believe how cheap it was. Not even half the price of a brand new CBR250R. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts