Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2013 CBR500R.

I like the bike, but I feel like it leaves a lot to be desired on the highway.

It seems like at 90 mph+ the bike is absolutely screaming in 6th gear, at 7500 rpm+.

is something wrong with my bike or is that how they all are??

·
Registered
115 Posts
My 2019 is like that. In UK it's fine. You have a lot of highways in your country. There has just been a thread on here regarding this very problem.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Top of this page, you'll see "Engines and Technical Discussions". If you'll click on and scroll through that, you can see previous discussions concerning gearing and sprocket changes... that address exactly what you describe. .Enjoy and Ride Safe.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My answer would simply be that it is a 471cc twin.

It is a fine bike for a lot of people because in many countries 90 mph would be illegal. In the U.K. the highest legal limit is 70mph but motorway enforcement tends to be from 80 mph. I am happy with it at those speeds.

But it cannot do much beyond 100 mph, so if you want to regularly ride at higher speeds then you would be better with a bigger bike.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's the age old problem - bike can never go fast enough!!!
IF you WANT, and I stress the want part, to go 90+ then go get a 900 Ninja - top speed about 150!
This is a 500 engine. What did you expect??

·
Registered
3 Posts
If it's your first bike suck it up for 6 months and find out what you really want. Then purchase that and sell your 500 to the next beginning rider who needs one. If you are used to performance vehicles of any type, the Honda 500 engines will be underwhelming. They are not designed for performance but they are designed to be effective commute tools.

Notice how I joined this forum in 2013? I felt this would be a great bike for me but didn't get into motorcycling right away. Got the bike last year, didn't last long. Now I have a GSX-S1000F.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts