Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2013 CBR500R.

I like the bike, but I feel like it leaves a lot to be desired on the highway.

It seems like at 90 mph+ the bike is absolutely screaming in 6th gear, at 7500 rpm+.

is something wrong with my bike or is that how they all are??

·
Registered
370 Posts
My 2019 is like that. In UK it's fine. You have a lot of highways in your country. There has just been a thread on here regarding this very problem.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Top of this page, you'll see "Engines and Technical Discussions". If you'll click on and scroll through that, you can see previous discussions concerning gearing and sprocket changes... that address exactly what you describe. .Enjoy and Ride Safe.

·
Registered
442 Posts
My answer would simply be that it is a 471cc twin.

It is a fine bike for a lot of people because in many countries 90 mph would be illegal. In the U.K. the highest legal limit is 70mph but motorway enforcement tends to be from 80 mph. I am happy with it at those speeds.

But it cannot do much beyond 100 mph, so if you want to regularly ride at higher speeds then you would be better with a bigger bike.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's the age old problem - bike can never go fast enough!!!
IF you WANT, and I stress the want part, to go 90+ then go get a 900 Ninja - top speed about 150!
This is a 500 engine. What did you expect??

·
Registered
4 Posts
If it's your first bike suck it up for 6 months and find out what you really want. Then purchase that and sell your 500 to the next beginning rider who needs one. If you are used to performance vehicles of any type, the Honda 500 engines will be underwhelming. They are not designed for performance but they are designed to be effective commute tools.

Notice how I joined this forum in 2013? I felt this would be a great bike for me but didn't get into motorcycling right away. Got the bike last year, didn't last long. Now I have a GSX-S1000F.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I recently bought a 2013 CBR500R.

I like the bike, but I feel like it leaves a lot to be desired on the highway.

It seems like at 90 mph+ the bike is absolutely screaming in 6th gear, at 7500 rpm+.

is something wrong with my bike or is that how they all are??
I am a bit late to this thread & don’t want to repeat too much of what others said.
I have ridden many different bikes since my first Honda 50 in 1959. Having owned my 500F for 4 years & 20,000 miles, my conclusion is that it is a perfect balance for most real world riding situations, which do not include riding at 90+mph. Yes if I was commuting on something like the LA freeways where the traffic flow is often 85mph or more I would want a larger displacement or taller geared bike. However that is not my normal environment. I ride back roads & fun twisty stuff whenever possible, even when long distance touring. This bike is great for that sort of thing & urban riding too. If you are new to riding don’t be in a hurry to up grade. There is plenty the 500 can teach you. Log a bunch of miles on it & hone your skills. If your normal environment is high speed highways, change the gearing with a bigger counter shaft sprocket or smaller rear sprocket. Take it from many of us here, this bike is a blast & very economical to own & operate. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Your dead right. I found a sweet spot at 8,500 revs in 6th gear it's like riding a magic carpet. But wouldn't want to keep it there long term.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I imagine 8500 rpm in 6th gear could harvest a few packet-plus fines in the U.K. I like to avoid that sort of situation as it can get bloody dear with insurance etc. If I had a “magic carpet”, no problem. However, coming back to Earth, the bike seems quite happy between
60-75 mph for long term use.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You have to be careful where you do magic carpet speeds. I find the bike very willing 85to90 mph. I tend to ride mostly 70to80 where possible with a squirt to 90 now and again. Oil changes every 4 thousand miles or so.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Good on you for wringing it’s neck. I am sure it can manage. I swap out oil & filter every 3000 mi. Very cheap maintenance. I suspect I have been both careful & lucky in my 60 years of riding. Never had a speed citation on a moto even with the Ton-a-Day commute to college in the early 70’s aboard my Honda DOHC 450. Carry on.

·
Registered
442 Posts
It is a bike which goes into the 90s very easily without realizing it. I once discovered I was so close to 100 mph (on the sat nav) that I had to add the extra, but normally I stick to the enforcement limits. The main problem with going above that is when following someone on a busy motorway so you do not expect higher speeds to be possible given the traffic.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I only do 5% motorway, but what I do find is bike is still well capable on the motorway. You can overtake in 6th gear no probs.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Good on you for wringing it’s neck. I am sure it can manage. I swap out oil & filter every 3000 mi. Very cheap maintenance. I suspect I have been both careful & lucky in my 60 years of riding. Never had a speed citation on a moto even with the Ton-a-Day commute to college in the early 70’s aboard my Honda DOHC 450. Carry on.
I tell you what's come out of this is it appears everything thinks I'm thrashing the bike. But the funny thing is with hand on heart I never let it labour, and it always wants more. So have I just got a good fast one or what.?

·
Registered
67 Posts
The bike is very stable at 90 MPH, even with 20 MPH side winds. The motor feels like it could do 7 to 7.5k RPM all day. 8k+ RPM might be another story. Highway traffic in my area seems to average between 80 to 90 MPH depending on the day. I've had no problems on those 50 to 60 mile commutes so far.

Reactions: ADIOS600 and ExTex

·
Registered
370 Posts
The bike is very stable at 90 MPH, even with 20 MPH side winds. The motor feels like it could do 7 to 7.5k RPM all day. 8k+ RPM might be another story. Highway traffic in my area seems to average between 80 to 90 MPH depending on the day. I've had no problems on those 50 to 60 mile commutes so far.
How many miles on the clock now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts