Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha everyone, I'm currently putting a lot of miles on my 2014 Honda CB500F and I just hit 25k miles. This is my first bike and I'm the second owner. I maintain it religiously with nice tires and constant oil changes and I ride it almost daily to save on gas when commuting. I've been wondering if I should sell it and buy something with lower miles does anyone out there know how long these motors run for? Mahalo for any info.

·
Registered
119 Posts
According to the salesperson I purchased my 2019F, 250k miles, but I think that's average and if you maintain it nicely even longer. Usually each one of us know when it's time to dump a bike, but I don't think the engine is the first thing that will break on a 500(X,F,R).

·
Registered
18 Posts
A well-kept motorcycle with many thousands of miles on it and an asking price reasonable value may very well be “high mileage.” It may also be a very good deal with lots of faithful services left in it. Similarly is with a very old model bike — a 1950 bike with 100,000 miles on the meter that’s in original condition is truly hard to find, worth a pretty penny.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The reason you see ads for 15 year old bikes with 3000 miles on them is people buy with thoughts of riding like you do, but it never happens.
So when you see a bike with over 30,000 miles on it, it seems like high miles.
As posted above, if you maintain it no reason it cant go over 150,000 miles easily!
Using an engine and putting on miles is way better for it than having is sit not being used for months/years.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've seen so many 500-650cc used bikes sold around here with < 1k mileage, sometimes even 80miles! Good example where someone wants to drive a bike, takes a few trips, and realize it's not for them. So it's a good way to get good bikes cheaply rather than a new one (I got a good deal on my brand-new one which was an excemption).

Just take it before or after to a qualified service technician and they could check it and fix the used one to a really good shape. I would just make sure it has not been involved in any collisions or road accidents, those bikes are not to be trusted long term.

Meanwhile, drive your 500F 200k+ miles and you will laugh to the bank.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Aloha everyone, I'm currently putting a lot of miles on my 2014 Honda CB500F and I just hit 25k miles. This is my first bike and I'm the second owner. I maintain it religiously with nice tires and constant oil changes and I ride it almost daily to save on gas when commuting. I've been wondering if I should sell it and buy something with lower miles does anyone out there know how long these motors run for? Mahalo for any info.
Lower miles? Why? Especially if you are looking after the bike well. 25k is not even close to high mileage for any bike, let alone one for a major respected manufacturer like Honda.

My 2016 CB500F has done 47k miles, of which 20k was in 2019 alone.

And that is nothing compared to Oldhamer who had reached 127k miles on their 2014 CB500X when they posted about it, and was still happy with the bike.

The reason you see ads for 15 year old bikes with 3000 miles on them is people buy with thoughts of riding like you do, but it never happens.
I would be far more worried about a bike like that, which has just been sitting around unused, than one with a higher mileage. A bike that is being ridden you know works, and presumably was loved and looked after. Who knows what problems could be hiding in one that has been left to rot?

Obviously you can go too far the other way, and very high mileage can suggest problems are coming too. But I would not want anything that averages less than a few thousand miles per year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So when you see a bike with over 30,000 miles on it, it seems like high miles.
As posted above, if you maintain it no reason it cant go over 150,000 miles easily!
Using an engine and putting on miles is way better for it than having is sit not being used for months/years.
great points! Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'll put my perspective on this. My first "bike" was a 70cc (yes you read that right) honda cub. I put 19k miles on it and then sold it on. I had it serviced regularly and kept it clean. When it finally died it had done over 90k miles - with a 70cc engine. 25k on a 500cc isn't a lot - unless you don't take care of it

·
Registered
484 Posts
No worries & unless you want a totally different bike don’t get rid of yours yet. It should last many more miles with proper maintenance. If I lived on the Islands I would add a 250cc dual-sport to the garage to mix things up a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts