Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Premium Member
Just carried out my 204000 km service. Bike running great . Anyone else out there got to this yet ?

P s all original except for consumable parts
Welcome to the forums.
I've heard of similar 200k kms-ish mileage about 2 or three bikes only. You must have one of the podium positions when it comes to high mileage. As far as I know both were written off due accidents.
Would you mind sharing a few more details with us? Like how are you using your bike, what model and year it is etc?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello all. I bought the bike new in Feb 14. Standard 500x. I use mostly for commuting to and from work and lots of rides up and down the mountains. I had a young girl on her phone run in the back of me, I hit a large kangaroo side on and fell off on a dirt track, Just superficial damage easy to fix. Nothing stops this bike. It has never let me down and i get 100km for 3.6 litre. It has got better as it gets older . Just change the oil and filter every 6000kms and keep the chain lubed. One thing i notice is the bike runs smoother on the cooler days. [probably more oxygen in the air]

Registered
I am nowhere near that, it is 126,760 miles while my bike's odometer is only a couple over 46,821 miles (75,351 km).

My bike, a 2016 model, was bought in November 2017 with 5k miles on it, but you are still way ahead on average too. You must be riding around 2,400 km per month to have that many while I am only achieving 1,725 km (1,075 miles). Although I do not commute, and the climate here is not as all-year friendly for leisure riding.

At 2019 mileage I would expect to reach 204,000 km in autumn 2024. Which was 21,000 miles.
But at 2020 mileage I would not reach it until the start of summer 2040! Just over 4,000 miles last year because of Covid.

Registered
I think the salesman told me that the 500(f/x/r) engines were designed for 240k miles of use. So that might be one limit for those who drive a lot. But it depends on how one is pushing the bike, service and so on.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
46000 miles is a fantastic effort for the UK. I lived there for 45years and got many a soaking. Me and my mate once rode to Barnsley to a football match. It was freezing. We stood for 2 hours at the game freezing then rode home to Oldham. Nearly got hypothermia Its very different here. Very rarely get cold and long distances to get anywhere. My commute to work is a 130km round trip.so i clock up 30000kms a year.
If the salesman is correct I only have 35000kms left. Lets see!

Registered
Sorry, the engine was "designed" for 240k of use.
The engine is designed. ALL can easily go 240k and more. Its how you treat and use them.
And of course most dont ride that much. Reason why you'll find a 10 year old bike with 3k miles on them!

Registered
46000 miles is a fantastic effort for the UK.
That is a point I overlooked. As I live in London my bike also has to sit outside in all weathers, which will be below freezing the next few nights, so the effects of that will take its toll on the bike. Plenty of riding in heavy rain too, as it is my only private transport so I use it to visit my dad in Lincolnshire.

But though it has been on the floor a few times, and thankfully otherwise never hit anything, despite the odd scuff it is still in good working order. The only non-original part are the bars and levers. And as the Honda bars seem to bend quite easily on landing, I replaced those with thicker Renthal ones. Although I have added crash bars, they have yet to be called into action. So I am fully expecting the bike to outlive my use of it.

My old Yamaha 125 managed 23,892 miles, being bought with 498 as an insurance write-off which the original dealer bought and repaired. As good as new when I got it, but it did not feel in such good health that by the time I replaced it that it did not feel sellable. With so much riding flat out in top gear it makes some weird noises, which I did have looked at but was told not to worry about them.

It was a shame I could not afford to insure both bikes to get it to 24,901 miles, the circumference of the Earth at the Equator. So I never got to virtually ride it all the way around the world, but if the vaccine programme is a success my CB500F should hopefully complete its second circuit this summer.

Registered
Here in California, if you keep your bike (or car) outside, the strong sunlight will tear down plastics within 5 years or so (as some BMW car owners will notice). I do think keeping vehicles indoors will extend the lifetime of parts of the whole bike quite a lot. Same with rust.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a Yamaha XT 600 in Britain which was also left out in the weather. The light/indicator switch packed up within a year and the oil tank rotted and sprung a leak. I often wonder now why I never got a cover for the bike. It got stolen in 1990 and never saw it again.

Registered
Where I park my bike is mostly in the shade, not that the sun here will be a problem! And I do have a cover, which I usually use though have not had a chance to at the moment, as trapping moisture under it will be worse and the weather has not allowed it to dry out. Hopefully tomorrow will be dry all dat so I can cover it before the freezing weather tomorrow night.

But living in a flat in London there is no inside to bring it. As it is I am very fortunate to have access to a private yard so it at least does not have to be kept on the street.

As with New York and other similar dense cities with extensive public transport systems, private vehicle ownership is quite low in inner London. So providing parking is a low priority, and with climate change extensively discouraged. My borough in the bottom ten in country for vehicle ownership at around 45%, and that is only so high because it includes some more slightly suburban parts

Even though my neighbourhood is not on the tube network 鈥 the nearest station is a mile and a half away 鈥 we have two commuter rail stations on different lines within walking distances plus an extensive bus service, with a 24 hour route at least every ten minutes to the West End and every 20 minutes to the City.

So many journeys within the city are just much easier that way, and I never use my bike locally unless I have no choice. Normally I need to visit a hospital every fortnight for blood tests, and for a while I did go by bike (parking outside that hospital is free for bikes) but I stopped as the bus is just easier. I can read on the bus, which makes the time feel more productive, and it does not take much longer.

There are houses near me with garages, but those start at almost a million pounds (拢1m is US$1.4m and AUS$1.8). And if you can afford one of those it is very unlikely you will be riding one of Honda's affordable 500 twins or worried about getting out the most mileage.

Registered
I forgot to mention the issue of bikes-disappearing-suddenly-when-outside factor. But yes I understand the issue of finding indoors space in cities (lived in Stockholm four years). It's just one of those issues to take into consideration. Fortunately 500* bikes are cheap and sturdy.

Registered
I do have a cover, which I usually use though have not had a chance to at the moment, as trapping moisture under it will be worse and the weather has not allowed it to dry out. Hopefully tomorrow will be dry all dat so I can cover it before the freezing weather tomorrow night.
Yesterday had clear skies, but was cold, and with the bike trapped in shade due to the low winter sun it just never got to a chance to dry out. So no cover and now this cannot be doing it any good. Mind, I guess it cannot do any worse than rain and it will likely have thawed in a few hours before it has a chance to freeze.

Incidentally, that is the old 125 I mentioned tauntingly snug under the cover.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This picture brings back memories of my old XT 600 covered in snow in Oldham. I don't envy you having to ride in those conditions. You never see frost here nevermind snow and ice. Its the heat you have to worry about, when you stop at the lights you burn.Hope it warms up for you soon.:)

Attachments

Registered
Having had British bikes when I was a teenager/young adult in the 1950s, I grew up with Ariels, Nortons and Velocettes. All had electrics that were representative of that time in motorcycling history and were, shall we say, "not fond of water". As a result, to this day my bikes rarely if ever see water; I clean them with Quick Detail or other bike spray polishes and I just avoid rain altogether. I might use a damp cloth to clean off a dead bug or splatter from a wet spot on the road, but that's about the height of my bikes' water immersion! While I understand fully the need for many owners to keep their bikes out in the elements, I cannot imagine why no waterproof covers adorn them for rain and sun protection. Seems a very modest expense for protection of our bikes.

Central Texas USA is not a rainy area and before that I lived for 47 years in California, which receives even less precipitation. Hats off to those stalwarts who live in wet environs and brave the elements on a daily basis. Also, applause to Oldhamer for reminding us what we may expect from our CB-500s if we take good care of them and ride them a lot.

Ralph

Registered
Last year when I was looking for a used CB500X I saw many with < 5k mileage, one 2017 was 1770 miles or so. Actually a 2019 model had 200 miles. People buy bikes and think they will ride every day, and so it goes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My first target was 100000kms then 160000kms [100000 miles] then 200000kms. then I ran out of ideas. You have just given me a new goal to beat 236000kms. I am sitting on 205000kms and the bike is running perfect. I have every confidence in my Honda. Watch this space!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts