Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a DIY high front fender on a 500X ? Iv exhausted my search. All I have seen is "Rally Raid" stuff. Im trying to see if someone has used a aftermarket dirt bike fender, and how they did it. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
711 Posts
As far as I know RR doesn't make a high front fender, it was a prototype made by Jenny Morgan, and never made it to production.
The ABS bikes have an issue with the fender mounting due to the transition from rigid lines to the flexible ones are interfering with the high mount.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as I know RR doesn't make a high front fender, it was a prototype made by Jenny Morgan, and never made it to production.
The ABS bikes have an issue with the fender mounting due to the transition from rigid lines to the flexible ones are interfering with the high mount.
Thanks for the reply. I know RR didnt put one in production, I just cant believe no one else has done it (DIY). Its not like its a hard thing to do. maybe 30 minuets of fab work. I was just wondering what fender is used to do it. I have already built a plate to connect the fender to the bike, and ordered a "universal fender". Hopefully the fender will work, if not, Ill try another one. My bike is a non ABS , well because ABS on a motorcycle just makes no sense (to me) and it never will, maybe Im old school. Side note, Rally Raid is WAY overpriced. I cant believe people pay half of what the bike cost for a few add on parts. Who knows maybe Ill put high fenders in production and charge $800 for the kit because apparently people are happy to pay.

·
Super Moderator
711 Posts
To react to some of your points.
RR productsare are pricey - especially coming from Eastern Europe, from a country where average monthly wage is close to 700 usd.
OK the other hand, you get what you pay for. RR stuff is sometimes crude, but straight to the point and does it's job perfectly for the price point.
If you make a comprehensive offer to mount a high fender, and the market is willing to pay 800 bucks for it, feel free to put it to the market. Just to compare it to the utility of other upgrades, that amount of money can buy you a set of cams worth of roughly 8hp plus, or almost the cost of an L1 spoked wheel set, and needs only a bit more to get a good 19/17 spoked set of wheels. To me that is a significant difference in utility.
I don't want to get into the ABS question, that seems to be more a religion than decision based on facts and thus no point in arguing with belief. As for me I wouldn't buy any new bike without abs.
I'm certainly not Rossi, Marquez nor Birch, but ABS is saving my poor ass a few times every season - and I'm riding for over 20 years, meaning that I learnt how to brake without ABS. It's just the fact, that I'm not 100% concentrated, alert, and fresh every time when I'm on a bike, what means I'm sometimes doing silly mistakes - or doesn't have enough threshold to compensate for mistakes made by others. You must be a much more talented rider than me to be able to say no for one of the best safety features on bikes. Kudos.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To react to some of your points.
RR productsare are pricey - especially coming from Eastern Europe, from a country where average monthly wage is close to 700 usd.
OK the other hand, you get what you pay for. RR stuff is sometimes crude, but straight to the point and does it's job perfectly for the price point.
If you make a comprehensive offer to mount a high fender, and the market is willing to pay 800 bucks for it, feel free to put it to the market. Just to compare it to the utility of other upgrades, that amount of money can buy you a set of cams worth of roughly 8hp plus, or almost the cost of an L1 spoked wheel set, and needs only a bit more to get a good 19/17 spoked set of wheels. To me that is a significant difference in utility.
I don't want to get into the ABS question, that seems to be more a religion than decision based on facts and thus no point in arguing with belief. As for me I wouldn't buy any new bike without abs.
I'm certainly not Rossi, Marquez nor Birch, but ABS is saving my poor ass a few times every season - and I'm riding for over 20 years, meaning that I learnt how to brake without ABS. It's just the fact, that I'm not 100% concentrated, alert, and fresh every time when I'm on a bike, what means I'm sometimes doing silly mistakes - or doesn't have enough threshold to compensate for mistakes made by others. You must be a much more talented rider than me to be able to say no for one of the best safety features on bikes. Kudos.
I was being sarcastic about the $800 fender. We have been riding roughly the same amount of time. Got my first bike when I was 17ish ( Honda CBR1000F Hurricane) and Im 46 now. <<< That was alot of bike for a 17 year old new rider, more than I should have had. As far as being a more talented rider, I would say no. Im just average. Iv never thought Iv needed ABS on a bike, after all if you use your brakes as intended I would suppose thats a kind of manual ABS?? I have been in one accident, got hit head on so ABS wouldnt have really helped there. About ABS, I have been seeing more and more threads asking if the ABS could be turned off for off road applications. Sense the cb500X is being advertised as a "adventure bike" should ABS even be on them? CB500X being a ADV bike is a whole nother can of worms though because to get it to a proper ADV bike, you need to spend another half of what its worth to a company called "Rally Raid". Dont get me wrong, RR products are nice, but way to expensive in comparison to the price of the bike their made for (in my opinion). Be safe out there, it seems more these days than ever that every time you ride you are faced with a potential accident. Thats why Im inclined to turn my CB500x to strictly a off road bike. It seems that the past 10 years have had an uptick in breeding idiots and the states are handing out drivers license like candy on halloween.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts