Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some HID's from eBay today. They look great even without being a projector. our bulbs are H7's. Install is plug and play with the exception of drilling a hole in the cover and putting in grommet in.

They are slim ballast's and here is a great spot to mount them.

I drilled 2 little holes to run a zip tie through to keep the wiring looking clean.

The grommet, I put some silicone around it just to make sure no water gets in. Allthough its not going to kill it if it does because there is a o-ring around the bulb itself.

And lets compare.

I bought them from these guys and used 8000k bulbs

Xeno HID Kit H1 H3 H6M H4 H7 H8 H11 9004 9005 9006 9007 D2S D2R 6000K H9 H10 H13 | eBay

·
Registered
565 Posts
Big difference.. nice one

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks great! Do you have heat issues? I love the idea but am worried about melting stuff.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Glad to here you are SOOOO confident that the bulbs wont heat up the lamp housing to the point of melting or making things brittle over time. No need to be rude bro. From my experience with H4 bulbs (dual element vs single like the H7 in our bikes), you wont know until you run the lamps for a good 3 to 5 hours continuously. H4's are typically a higher wattage and produce more heat then the H7's. I have seen them melt everything from wires to housing. It looks as the ballast outputs 35W. I also assume the lamps would be okay to use seems that 35W is not above the norm. I also think it would be beneficial to the forum if you relay a full review and not just assume the lamps will not damage anything. I'm sure many of us would like to here a full review on you purchase. Maybe even take a few temperature readings with a laser heat gun and a few photos at night showing the beam spread on the road. This is all with the assumption the ballasts are rock solid. God forbid someone buys them without a full review and come to find out the ballast are not up to par. Could you image finding yourself on some back roads in the middle of know where with no lights all because you spent $30 on some ebay mod you read about on a forum? Man that would suck!:eek: Just saying head lights are very important, fill us in a bit more please.

I hope I didn't just kill this thread, I am just truly interested in purchasing them. :cool:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't mean to sound rude, sorry if it came off that way. I used this same kit in my 250 and I now have 6000 miles with them in. Granted it's a different size bulb but same concept. No issues, and today I rode for a solid 4.5 hours. I also have this same kit in my truck that has been in it for 4 plus years with no issues and they are plastic light assemblys.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
You see that bit of haze about where the beam is strongest? That's blinding to oncoming drivers. It might not seem like much, but for the guy in the oncoming lane it's like having your high beams on.
This is why a projector is always the best choice.
Example:
This is a HID with a projector.

Notice there is NO LIGHT above the cutoff?
There's a very good reason cars that come with HID's as standard come with projectors. If it was better to go with the cheaper option of not including a projector, don't you think they'd do it?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not trying to sound like a dick, but I know how projectors work and the difference. But nobody makes them that i'm aware of right now unless you get you'r OEM lights retrofitted. So for $30 these will work for now. And I also don't do much night time riding either as we have a ton of deer to be hit up here.

·
Registered
188 Posts
looks good I am waiting for mine as we speeak!

Reactions: Big times

·
Registered
42 Posts
You see that bit of haze about where the beam is strongest? That's blinding to oncoming drivers. It might not seem like much, but for the guy in the oncoming lane it's like having your high beams on.
This is why a projector is always the best choice.
Example:
This is a HID with a projector.

Notice there is NO LIGHT above the cutoff?
There's a very good reason cars that come with HID's as standard come with projectors. If it was better to go with the cheaper option of not including a projector, don't you think they'd do it?
Here's the flip side of that coin:
There's one thing I don't like about the retrofitted projectors in bikes is that when you turn, the cut-off line of light dips down in the direction of the turn. Cars don't lean into turns so the projectors keep the cut-off line where it should be.
Some cars, like my A4, have directional projectors to help this problem even more by turning the projector as you turn so you can see further down the turn.

So on a dark road turning left or right, I'd rather have the stock reflectors pushing the beam up into the turn. Rather than have on-coming traffic not see me because the cut-off line has dipped into the pavement.

Also on a flat straight road I'd rather have on-coming traffic definitely see me from a distance rather than blend in with every other driver (that has a cage).

Although I personally would only get the 4300K bulbs since they are the least annoying to everyone, but that's me. :D

Reactions: carbonado

·
Registered
188 Posts

Just finish the installation a couple hours ago. The installation was pretty straight forward. First you remove the twist cap over the headlight. Then you remove the headlight. Then you prepare the cap by drilling a hole and threading the wires from the ballast and the other connections through. Then you install the HID headlights and apply the retaining clip. Then you connect the adapter positive to positive negative to negative in the harness as well as the ballast connections. it only fits one way so you cannot make an error. Then you place the ballast on the ledge right by the fairing. Make sure your 3m tape is on the ballast. Then you tuck your wires away.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is anyone running a relay harness that runs to the battery? Since it would save wear and tear on the ballasts from being turned on and off during start up?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I forgot to add the pics of the light caps after I covered the drilled holes for the wires...
I used inner tube rubber from a bicycle wheel and locktite super glue. ...made a small hole and squeezed the harness plugs through....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts