Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's what the rack and the explorer side panniers would cost, and that's without the top case. The ones on the bottom.
Gallery

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have a hard time believing that a sheet metal box is worth $1150. Material and labour would put the price closer to $100. Profit taking, make it $200. Distribution costs, $230. Dealer markup, say $300. That is a long way from $1150.

·
Registered
565 Posts
There will be some cheaper after market ones out (in a few years!) ;)....

·
Registered
505 Posts
I like the C-bow mounts! :D

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a hard time believing that a sheet metal box is worth $1150. Material and labour would put the price closer to $100. Profit taking, make it $200. Distribution costs, $230. Dealer markup, say $300. That is a long way from $1150.
I see you have not shopped for aluminum panniers. Look at any bike you might want to put aluminum panniers on and you'll see you can not find the rack to mount them to for under $250, then take a look at $400 panniers, aluminum boxes with a lid, then you have to pay extra if you want them powder coated (or painted if you want to go cheap) so the aluminum don't turn everything black in them. I would still be under 8 grand for the bike and panniers, which is still over a grand less than the 650 v-strom adventure I was interested in until I sat on one. I know that the 650 v-strom has much more power, but I don't need it for the back road riding I enjoy.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Cool .....but that price is kinda steep :(

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool .....but that price is kinda steep :(
But if you consider it will cost you over $500 to get a molded plastic Honda top box on (rear rack plus base plate, and box) it don't look so bad. I have not seen the price of the side loading plastic side cases yet, but I would guess around $700 like the black molded plastic ones for the nc700x, plus another $100 or so if you want to dress them up with a red or silver plastic panel, no thanks.

·
Registered
223 Posts
But if you consider it will cost you over $500 to get a molded plastic Honda top box on (rear rack plus base plate, and box) it don't look so bad. I have not seen the price of the side loading plastic side cases yet, but I would guess around $700 like the black molded plastic ones for the nc700x, plus another $100 or so if you want to dress them up with a red or silver plastic panel, no thanks.
I'm gonna make a 'stand off' bracket & use my Cortech cordura soft bags
Will cost me around $50 :D

But the Honda stuff does look better !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts