Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm brand new to the forum (and yes I searched : P). I bought a 2015 500r from an insurance auction after it'd been stolen. Naturally i dont have the keys so I ordered a new ignition, gas cap and tail lock. Replacing the first two is obvious. Side note - I got to learn what hot wiring looks like lol. The tail lock though has me stumped. I shimmied out the front of the front seat by shifting the tank so I can see and reach the back of the lock but Im stuck there. I need to figure out how to get the lock cylinder out and pop the passenger seat out. Is there any way to do this? At the moment I cant work anything in to get the aft seat bolts out either..

Resolved:
You will need 8" needle nose pliers, 8/10mm sockets and an allen key for the fairing bolts.
1. Pop the side covers off of the bike.
2. Unbolt the screws at the base of the tank mount (two on each side) and the two at the front of the tank. Put a cloth or paper towel over the triple tree to avoid scratching.
3. While shifting the tank forward carefully but firmly pull up and back on the seat to get it unhooked. Simultaneously shift the tank up and forward. (Can be done alone. Easier with a friend.)
4. With the seat tilted up, locate the white tab at the back of the lock cylinder holding the cable in place clamp onto it tightly with the pliers and turn it counter clockwise. You should hear the rear seat unlock.
Note: My plastic bracket didnt break, but it could be possible.

·
Registered
228 Posts
At this point maybe you'll need to "do no harm" to what appears to be a great find in your motorcycle. You probably already know, but that lock turns a hinge.. that holds a cable similar to your clutch cable.. pulls an inner wire cable .. to slide another hinge away from the piece holding the rear seat in place. I'd suggest you concentrate on the underside of the seat.. the top side is much easier to damage. See if you could get between the inner fender and rear seat. You're looking or probing for that cable that releases that latch holding the rear seat. In theory, pulling that cable assembly enough should release the latch holding the rear seat. You'll probably be in the working dark, and maybe feeling around more than seeing what's going on.. Sorta like coat hanger into the car's window frame to open the door. But it worth a try. Good Luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it! I went out and bought a pair of 8" needle nose pliers and turned the mechanism from the back end. Updating the the initial post for reference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts