Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

[Help] Chain Condition and Recommendations

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jdock 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone, so I was cleaning my chain with a grunge brush this morning (normally only use a rag) and found a damaged O-ring. The bushing on that link doesn't freely spin anymore and I noticed the same on a few other links close by.

The chain hasn't stretched at all and there's no side to side or compression-tension play. I've cleaned, lubed, waxed with Maxima spray and will try again in the morning.

Is the chain shot? Is it safe enough to ride to a shop and get a replacement? Or am I being paranoid?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Synthetic rubber

See less See more
#5 ·
I would feel OK riding it to get the chain replaced. If there are a few of these o-ring issues happening I would replace the entire chain, probably with a x-ring chain. Be sure to check the sprockets for wear & replace them at the same time if they are starting to look “surfed”. If you only have low miles on the sprockets they are probably fine.

#6 ·
For general info. An o-ring chain contains lubricate good for the life of the chain (or so they tell us). The link with the damaged o-ring is compromised so replacement makes sense.

Is this the original chain? If yes, I'll go check mine right now.

It's important to keep the o-rings lubed to prevent this exact failure. I usually use WD-40 at every other fillup. I once got 55,000 miles on the original chain on a 95 VFR using this procedure.

Also important to assure the chain is in alignment, front to back. Misalignment adds extra stress on the chain and sprockets. The alignment Mark's on the swingarm may not be accurate.

#7 ·
Poor chain life for the OEM chain has been reported here. At about 6000 miles, I pulled the original chain which was in very good condition (I use a Scottoiler) and replaced it with a gold DID X-ring chain, the best they make. I will be surprised if I get less than stellar performance from this change. The new chain cost about $85 and bought me peace of mind. 12K miles on the bike, now. Chain looks fine.

Ralph

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.