Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Hello! From United Kingdom!

8K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  NSR_Devil 
#1 ·
Hi, so I've just passed my bike test here in England and because of new changes to the licensing over here people between 19-23 (Im 20) are restricted to 46.6bhp bikes.

Hence why i'm wanting CBR500! I am looking for more details about them i.e
0-60 times
Top speed
Build quality
Handling ect ect.....

Unfortunately all my friends have unrestricted licenses and have R6's and gsxr600's! I know a twin cylinder isn't going to be as fast but I don't want to be humiliated lol so acceleration figures are what I'm interested in.

All info welcome
Cheers, Alex

#2 ·
Welcome to the forums Alex,

That interesting how they started implementing that new law. i wonder if its gonna go world wide. I guess it a new idea to keep young and new riders safe from more then they can handle power.

0-60 mph is about 5-6 seconds
top speed 105 mph
build quality debatable but I think it good.
handling its light and turns with ease not to mention confortable

The acceleration is smooth and it has good power starting from 1500 rpm right away and have power everywhere. I liked low and mid range power a lot. It lets you forget which gear you are as it goes all the time smoothly. My bike is smooth as silk even around redline but felt some vibrations when it is neutral. If i see it correctly it redlines at 9000 or 9100 rpm. It accelerate fast from any rpm at any gear Cool for city riding. Bike is square but i revs fast and by the time to reach 8500 rpm, you have enough speed.

Dont worry too much about what your friends have or how they ride. you dont want follow them, just focus on your riding and being comfortable. Learn and be one with your cbr500 first then when you are comfortable move on if you want.

and dont forget any motorcycle only goes as fast as you crank the throttle. ;)

#3 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply/info.

I think that's the idea, but it is annoying being told what you can and can't ride!

I am really excited for the bikes to be in showrooms over here so I can have a proper look and a test ride.

Another question, how does the bike sound? That is also important to me. Does it sound really tinny/raspy like 125cc ect?

Or does it sound more like a bigger 4 cylinder bike? I would be very happy if it sounded similar to a cbr600rr lol

Cheers, Alex

#4 ·
wait till you see it in person, im sure itll put a smile on your face. It resembles really closely to a cbr600rr. But as for the sound of the honda cbr500r, once you turn it on you can really tell its a twin. Its not lawn mower like if your thinking of the 250cc sounds. its still throaty. And if you put on an aftermarket slip exhaust it sounds even better.

Heres a cbr500r wwith a k speed slip on exhaust

#5 ·
Welcome to the forums Alex. Never knew of such law. Where im from its not the speed that is killing the new riders it's their stupidity. over here they tend to do a lot of tricks and pull up the front wheel. I have seen guys falling of in the middle of the freeway from doing stupid stunts. It would be interesting to see the statistics after a couple years though.

NSR_Devil has posted a video of how the Honda CBr500R sounds stock too.

#6 ·
Yes, the new law is for safety I guess. Apparently it was first a Belgian law, it has now spread to Britain. It's possible more countries could implement it.

What's annoying is it changed January 19th this year. So if I had passed my test before that I would have an unrestricted license! Lol

That K Speed looks and sounds amazing! The bike looks nice on that Paddock stand too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.