Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I almost didn't make it. I've been a big Ninja 250 fan for many years and so I've been researching the new Ninja 300. I went to the dealership last weekend to drool over a Ninja 300 SE. But right next to it I saw a red CBR500R. I took a look and saw that it was only $5,999US. The Ninja was $4,999 with low financing rate of 3.99 and a Costco discount that would give me free freight and prep. Honda has no deals because, well, it's a Honda and they sell themselves. So I sat on both bikes. The Ninja has a slightly angled seat that pushes you forward a little and the CBR500 has a nice comfortable seat that sits you upright and is a little more forgiving. The Ninja is really beautifully designed but it's still smaller than it's big brothers the 650 and 1000. The build quality of the Honda was absolutely top notch for a bike in it's class... it kind of made the Ninja feel cheap in comparison- sort of like the difference between a department store tennis shoe and a Nike. So I've spent the last week researching the two bikes and comparing the two and decided today to go put a deposit on a red CBR500R. The CB500F looks pretty cool in pictures but I can't find one in real life. So I'm going with the 500R. I have a 1983 Magna V65 in my garage and for the last couple years I've been commuting on a two-stroke Genuine Stella. The CBR will replace the Stella- I wish her a long life and I hope the new owner digs her as much as I did. But right now, I'm REALLY looking forward to taking delivery of my new CBR500R this weekend.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Good choice !

and welcome to the CBR 'club' !!

Reactions: no3rdseat

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Great story. Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
178 Posts
What is this DMV day? Lol welcome guys... I think I'm The first active member from the area no3rdseat the F model is gorgeous If you can find one but if u plan to highway ride get the r.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I picked up my bike on Saturday and I'm absolutely THRILLED!! It runs good...not scary or anything, but it could get out of hand if I wasn't paying attention. Very quiet, handles well, looks really good on the exhaust side. A couple people have mentioned that it needs a slip-on but I really like how quiet and smooth it is. I thought the digital tach would get on my nerves but it's actually kind of nice once you get used to it.

One happy camper here. Looks like the old V65 is going up for sale soon! :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Congratulations! Have fun!

Genuine Stella 2-stroke and V65 Magna! Boy does that cover two ends of the motorcycling spectrum! :eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK, I picked up my bike on Saturday and I'm absolutely THRILLED!! It runs good...not scary or anything, but it could get out of hand if I wasn't paying attention. Very quiet, handles well, looks really good on the exhaust side. A couple people have mentioned that it needs a slip-on but I really like how quiet and smooth it is. I thought the digital tach would get on my nerves but it's actually kind of nice once you get used to it.

One happy camper here. Looks like the old V65 is going up for sale soon! :)

What dealer did you wind up getting your 500 from if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Pm me Bqn27 I ride almost every Sunday.... I have like 4k miles on my 500 already and I agree the DMV riders don't post much but I've seen a few riding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pm me Bqn27 I ride almost every Sunday.... I have like 4k miles on my 500 already and I agree the DMV riders don't post much but I've seen a few riding.

Hi and welcome ...

I'm in Manassas.

I just started riding a sportsbike so, for me it's more wimp than boring...

I'd ride with you guys but I'm not ready to go screaming down the highway or the twisties just yet.

If you all ever want to take a more leisurely cruise and offer some tips, pm me, and I'm in. :beers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts