Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I found the forum during my daily ritual of scouring the internet for any information on these new 500's. I have been riding motorcycles ever since I was 14 years old and got my first bike ... A 1975 cb550 four! I have had a wide variety of bikes but in the last few years I have gone from a dl1000 V-strom, to the Honda 919, to the Kawasaki Versys 650 (which is a wonderful bike by the way).

Over the last 20 years, my perceptions of displacement have changed quite a bit and I am ready to come full-circle and own another half-litre motorcycle. Even though it is mostly being billed as a "starter bike", this engine size just seems really "honest" to me because it is not big just for the sake of being big and is just the right balance of power and light weight.

I am planning to pick up either a cb500f or a cb500x but I cant make up my mind. I went to the bike show yesterday but it wasnt a lot of help. The F looked better to me but the X fit better. The cb1100 is a true work of art but I cant justify the cost when I can get one of these 500's for half the price. One thing is certain, it has been many years since I was this excited about Honda's lineup.

I'm really looking forward to learning more about these 500's and in being apart of this forum as it grows.

Cheers,

Chad

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome Chad.

I'm assuming your from Canada, already knowing there's a bike show going on in Toronto.
If that's the show you went to, how was it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys. It was the Calgary bike show that I was at and I was really impressed with it. The last time I went to the show was in 2008 and that is where I bought a brand new Versys because I was offered too good a deal. There wasnt much for incentives this year. $700 off the NC700X but only $300 off the new CB500's and no discounts on the CB1100 because there are only a very limited number of them coming to Canada.

Harley drew some crowds with their display and I will admit that their metal flake paint jobs were pretty cool. The only thing that caught me by surprise was Ducati's Diavel. I hadnt been following their lineup this year and when I saw it I thought, what the heck? Not my cup of tea but I admire them trying something different.

I think that Honda came out as the real winner of the show. They were the first booth when you entered. Old guys and young guys were drawn to the cb1100 and the new F6B Goldwing looked really good. The nc700x and new 500's (particularly the cb500f and cb500x) had a constant crowd around them. There were also a ton of women riders checking out the 500's. The fact that it is also a great bike for new riders doesnt bother me at all. I no longer feel like I have something to prove and I love the idea of a reasonably sized, economical motorcycle, and I'm sure that there are a lot of other experienced riders that will feel the same way. The 500 seems like a motorcycle that is built for transportation rather than to be a toy or a luxury item, or a lifestyle statement. I am optimistic that this trio will be a good move for Honda.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You got it MotoDan. I might start a new thread in this section to post some photos in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts