Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Headlight bulbs are cheap at any auto store. Try a new one.

For more light
One possibility is the Philips X-treme vision +100% bulbs. These claim to double the light on the road. The tradeoff is that bulb life is about 1/3 of a standard bulb and our bikes run the headlight all the time. I use these bulbs in my car.

Another option is an LED replacement but the cheap ones are junk from the online tests I have seen. They throw light all over the road like a high beam. The good ones use rows of three very tiny LED's to mimic the shape of a filament in a regular bulb - so they focus correctly. Run near $100 USD. ouch.

Also check that your lowbeam is aimed correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
G'day Phil (Pookie). I am a 59 yr old rider from Melbourne and thought I should offer my thoughts/advice on your recent questions. I currently have a 2016 CBR500R and am really enjoying the bike. Firstly, I personally would recommend high sided riding boots. I say this because I had a bad accident when I was in my mid 20's and broke both legs just above the ankles. Even though I was wearing high sided riding boots at the time, they offered little protection to my ankles or foot joints. The boots I have now (Dririder) offer excellent protection to my ankles and foot joints. The new boots are slim at the toes to fit better under the gear shifter lever. Safety gear has come a looooooong way. Secondly, I wanted to offer some advice on your concerns with cornering. Riding motorbikes is like an excercise in being hyper aware - when approaching any corner, you need to very quickly assess many things - speed, road surface, traffic, gear choice etc. On top of all that, it is very important that you are looking ahead of the corner - always (they should have covered this in your training). Aside from speeding, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the main reason riders run wide on a corner and get into trouble. It is something you only get good at after much practise and before long it will feel completely natural. And lastly, be careful riding with your step son - I would have a good long talk about the importance of travelling at the speed you are both comfortable with. I actually avoid riding with other riders, for this very reason.

Stay safe mate. Enjoy. (y)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
@Pookie for the lighting, yes stock they are pretty pathetic. I've had a few different iterations over the years... Phillips X-Treme Halogens, HIDs, LEDs (2 types)
The X-Treme's were just a hype; basically they just put a blue tint on the bulb to shift the colour spectrum away from yellow to make it more white. They merely 'appear' brighter due to being more white, but because of the tint they don't actually throw light any farther than stock.
One bonus that halogen has over both HID and LED however, is that it's a plug-and-play affair, in that you don't have to cut a hole in the backside of the bulb cover for them to work.
HIDs were definitely better, both in lumen and projected distance. The wiring for them does have a couple more components that might be a turn off for some for the install. Also, with the wait time to reach full brightness, they are not really suitable for high beam.
LEDs are my recommendation. I have had both Opt7 FluxBeam 30W 4200LM @ 6K (fan design) and Auxito 20W 4500LM @6.5K (fanless design) [current install]; the Auxito are a (3yrs) newer design with a different driver hence being lower wattage but higher lumen. I found between HID and LEDs that the HID did throw light farther, however the LEDs shone 'useable' light for longer... like just say the HID threw light (made up numbers) 200m, but was tapering off after 100m and by 150m wasn't of much use. The LEDs might throw 150m but only taper off after 125m.
The Opt7 had a ballast system similar to the HIDs, but definitely a simpler plug-to-plug design, I found the fan noise annoying at times and eventually that moving part was the demise of the unit.
I chose the Auxito based on same reasoning as @vt500 mentioned of having multiple LEDs in a position similar to a filament, for their fanless design and online reviews giving them very good marks; and as bonus they are very competitively priced, I got mine for under $50/pr.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm back from a break due to family illness (all good now) ...way too long :(

Anyway, I've been out riding as much as I can under recent circumstances with the isolation restrictions stuff.

I found that my low-beam is very very dull, maybe need replaceing. What do people suggest for good bright headlights? High-beam seems ok.

Cheers..

Pookie
Just my opinion, check you headlamp connections especially 3 pin plug on the bulb. Check the alignment best on a proper headlamp tester. The high power bulbs we have here in UK up to 150% more light are good and its an easy fix if that's what you want, but double check they are compatible with plastic lens. As far as your riding is concerned you have had good advice on here, and I would say get yourself on a motorcycle training coarse, you need good building blocks and that comes with training which will speed up your learning capability. Safe riding.;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi Tothezenith,

Thanks for your informative reply :)

Am I to ascertain from the info that given you have the Auxito 20W 4500LM @6.5K (fanless design) currently installed, that you have had to cut away some portion of the bulb cover? I haven't even had a look at the bulb cover yet, so am i to assume it is a simple process?

And, are you using the same wattage bulb (20w) for both high and low beam lights?

Cheers

Pookie

@Pookie for the lighting, yes stock they are pretty pathetic. I've had a few different iterations over the years... Phillips X-Treme Halogens, HIDs, LEDs (2 types)
The X-Treme's were just a hype; basically they just put a blue tint on the bulb to shift the colour spectrum away from yellow to make it more white. They merely 'appear' brighter due to being more white, but because of the tint they don't actually throw light any farther than stock.
One bonus that halogen has over both HID and LED however, is that it's a plug-and-play affair, in that you don't have to cut a hole in the backside of the bulb cover for them to work.
HIDs were definitely better, both in lumen and projected distance. The wiring for them does have a couple more components that might be a turn off for some for the install. Also, with the wait time to reach full brightness, they are not really suitable for high beam.
LEDs are my recommendation. I have had both Opt7 FluxBeam 30W 4200LM @ 6K (fan design) and Auxito 20W 4500LM @6.5K (fanless design) [current install]; the Auxito are a (3yrs) newer design with a different driver hence being lower wattage but higher lumen. I found between HID and LEDs that the HID did throw light farther, however the LEDs shone 'useable' light for longer... like just say the HID threw light (made up numbers) 200m, but was tapering off after 100m and by 150m wasn't of much use. The LEDs might throw 150m but only taper off after 125m.
The Opt7 had a ballast system similar to the HIDs, but definitely a simpler plug-to-plug design, I found the fan noise annoying at times and eventually that moving part was the demise of the unit.
I chose the Auxito based on same reasoning as @vt500 mentioned of having multiple LEDs in a position similar to a filament, for their fanless design and online reviews giving them very good marks; and as bonus they are very competitively priced, I got mine for under $50/pr.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
... t
ascertainfrom the info that given you have the Auxito 20W 4500LM @6.5K (fanless design) currently installed, that you have had to cut away some portion of the bulb cover? I haven't even had a look at the bulb cover yet, so am i to assume it is a simple process?

And, are you using the same wattage bulb (20w) for both high and low beam lights?
Yes I currently have the Auxitos.
They do fit within the stock housing, my cover is only cut because the previous ones with the fans needed to protrude. I left as is, and probably doesn't hurt to have the air flow.

Yes same 20W for both high and low. The high beam has a different reflector up angle the light which makes it 'seem' brighter, but as the name suggests it's just getting aimed higher ;)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts