Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm 25 and am thinking of trading in my sportster 1200 for the cbr500r. I had a suzuki gs500f in 2006 and enjoyed it. My one question is do the saddlebags for the cbr500f fit the r? Also has anyone moved from a bigger bike to this one. I just don't want to keep throwing money at my Harley and want to go back to honda.

Thanks everyone and sorry for the quick post as I'm on a break at work now.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hello,
I'm 25 and am thinking of trading in my sportster 1200 for the cbr500r. I had a suzuki gs500f in 2006 and enjoyed it. My one question is do the saddlebags for the cbr500f fit the r? Also has anyone moved from a bigger bike to this one. I just don't want to keep throwing money at my Harley and want to go back to honda.

I don't think so as they would have shown them under accessories. Why not go with the CB500F or X?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just switched from a Ducati Monster 900 to the CBR500R, and one of my previous rides was a 1200 Sportster. To be honest, I don't think it's possible to compare them - it's like apples and oranges. We tend to purchase a bike for a reason, or with a purpose in mind, and I bought the CBR500R because it's a spanking good ride - perfect ergonomics; light clutch; smooth as silk gear changing; enough acceleration to put a big smile on my face; glides through twisties like you wouldn't believe ... in short, a real quality riding experience at an remarkably low price.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Glad to hear that people who are used to bigger bikes are also finding the cbr500 to be a fun bike.
I just put down advance for a cbr500r . My last bike was a ninja500.
Your confirmation is working as a validation for me.
Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im also glad to hear these replies. Still torn between the cbr500r/f and Yamaha fz6r. The Yamaha is only 150 more a year compared to the Honda. The best thing about the Honda is that my dealer is 4 miles from my house.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have ridden a sportster 883 and the Honda is much nicer IMO. I think the biggest difference is the weight you find get blown around as much on a hog probably why they are popular highway bikes. I owned a R6 before and love my 500r its just so **** smooth no rocket ship acceleration but plenty enough to pull ahead of most heavy pushrod hogs out there I would say test ride one if possible they are so different the only true comparison is that they are motorcycles. Plus you can sell the hog buy the 500r outright and some gear that will look great with a import sportbike.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The FZ6R is nice I test rode one before I settled on the 500r they are both comfortable and mostly upright but the torque band on the fz6r means you have to rev more the 500r its just there always even in low rpm the fz has a nicer exhaust note and a little more oomph. But around town the 500's can't be beat.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most likely ill get the cbr500r. I have a great honda dealership that I've done business with in the past. Really now wish the "f" saddle bags fit the Cbr500r. The rear ends look the same, so I can't see why I wouldn't be able to fit them. I feel a lot more confident in buying this bike since reading and joining this forum.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Most likely ill get the cbr500r. I have a great honda dealership that I've done business with in the past. Really now wish the "f" saddle bags fit the Cbr500r. The rear ends look the same, so I can't see why I wouldn't be able to fit them. I feel a lot more confident in buying this bike since reading and joining this forum.
If saddle bags are your concern here, the rear of cbr500r and cb500f are the same so if the bags fit cb500f they also fit cbr500r.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hello,

Did you put saddle bags on the Harley so you could store the parts that fall off? :rolleyes: :D

SORRY! I couldn't let that go buy! :)

Getting the Honda would be a good choice. There will be plenty of bags and mounts available for the r. Just get it if that's what you want.

Reactions: SandMantis

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Joke: What does a Harley Davidson and a hound dog have in common?

·
Registered
505 Posts
They both like to ride in the back of a pickup truck! :D

Reactions: no3rdseat and Thump

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm used to the Harley ragging. I know they break a lot,my friends have been in the shop 3 times this year for electrical work. BUT I will have to say out of 2 years and 10,000 miles the only expenses were oil changes,tires, and 2 expensive as **** routine maintenance. I have been very lucky to have no problems.

The plus side of this is I may get a red abs cbr500r tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I rode a Sportster for 4 yrs then transitioned into a dual sport, then sport now the 500r. I wld never ride a cruiser again. Just not my taste or style. I like the easy responsive handling of a sport bike. I liken the Sportster as riding on a 2x4 with the roughest suspension ever. It also vibrated horribly at highway speeds. Course, these observations are subjective considering HD riders are a vast group that swear by the brand. I think you will enjoy the 500. Congrats.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Most people say: the H and the D, then you say: right, and the fact that both of them spend half their lives in the back of a pick-up...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts