Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hand grips on the CB500 are a bit small for me and are making my hands ache fairly quickly (yes, I wear gloves).

Can anyone tell me what size bars the 500F has and if there's anywhere in Thailand that does quality replacements?

If not, Ebay will suffice.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Tried to look for the diameter measurement for the CBR500F and no luck. On thing I found was the Bar height. If it is small maybe you could invest on some aftermarket thicker grips.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I really like the Oury Road Grips; I've put them on my NX250 which has 7/8-inch bars.

Oury Grips USA

Yes, they are fatter than normal grips......

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ Nice.

Just after I posted last night I found some foam sleeves for $2 on Ebay.

I'll see what these are like.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
A 2 USD grip will not last long in wet/humid and sweaty Thailand:)
k speed, panda rider, dirt shop etc have lots of quality options regarding grips.
just check them out marmite.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I was at Moth Racing in Bangkok, and the owners bike had some real nice grips. I wasnt even thinking of changing the grips untill I rode her bike. I asked how much for the new grips, and my jaw hit the floor when the shop told me not to change them. They said stock Honda grips are the best and last the longest. The aftermarket ones look sweet but any padding on them fall apart quickly. They got respect from me for that. I was looking at their billit chain tensioner setup, I asked why I should buy theirs to replace my stock one. I was expecting them to say, its stronger lighter makes you handle better and go twice as fast :) they said, only buy it if you think its pretty HAHAHA! I love truth in advertising!

·
Registered
175 Posts
A 2 USD grip will not last long in wet/humid and sweaty Thailand:)
k speed, panda rider, dirt shop etc have lots of quality options regarding grips.
just check them out marmite.
I guess its a little different in Thailand but most of us in the states ride with gloves here for more of a concern for safety. But I guess for you guys since you ride mostly in the city at slower speed its not much of a concern for you guys.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess its a little different in Thailand but most of us in the states ride with gloves here for more of a concern for safety. But I guess for you guys since you ride mostly in the city at slower speed its not much of a concern for you guys.
I ride with gloves and live out in the 'jungle'. I just find the grips too small and uncomfortable. One thing I did do to make an improvement is to tighten the throttle a bit so there's virtually no slack in it. It was quite slack when I first got the bike.

·
Registered
505 Posts
... I was looking at their billit chain tensioner setup...
Interesting! Any link/pics?

Would love to find an enclosed chain for the 500 like the one on my Bultaco MatadorSD.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ride with gloves and live out in the 'jungle'. I just find the grips too small and uncomfortable. One thing I did do to make an improvement is to tighten the throttle a bit so there's virtually no slack in it. It was quite slack when I first got the bike.
Was it the throttle cable that you adjusted to fix the slack? Can you post a write up on how to do it?

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
grips are not related with gloves.
how do yo know that we do not wear gloves in Thailand?
very funny comment!
Of course we wear gloves here man and we are not poor! Riding in the city or jungle same. Otherwise you get blisters in your palms:)

·
Registered
175 Posts
How about the Rizoma hand grips? They are a little bit on the pricey side but the driven racing ones look similar.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think I might give the drivens a shot, I just don't know how comfortable that aluminum bit will be on longer rides.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
bbrmotosports has them on his bike, and they look really nice. Search for a thread titled "DIY proper suspension set up" to see some photos of them installed. You might shoot him a pm with any questions.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I feel dumb asking, but is there more than just removing the bar ends to replace the grips? If so, can someone give me a link to steps, or provide me with steps. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
I really like the Oury Road Grips; I've put them on my NX250 which has 7/8-inch bars.

Oury Grips USA

Yes, they are fatter than normal grips......
They claim to be exactly 1mm fatter than the measured size of our normal grips, but it's possible that the rougher grip pattern makes them feel fatter.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts