Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of installing a high intensity discharge bulb and ballast on my current bike but not sure if i should just save this for when I get the CBR500F. Have you guys done this in the past to your bike? I'm just wondering what the laws are that surround this mod. I dont want to get nailed for it as I already have a few tickets under my belt premiums on my insurance can't get any higher.

·
Registered
27 Posts
don't be that guy that puts an HID bulb in a halogen bulb housing, those are designed to go into a projector housing. You will blind oncoming traffic and I am sure it's not legal at all to have those bulbs in a halogen housing.

Phil

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
Is there a focal lense you can install the HID bulb kit with so it diverts the beam lower towards the ground. I read this on 600RR.net not sure where the article is but its there. Its a common thing from what I read. I would do it right just incase.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
laws depend on where you are from.

There are many who install HIDs into halogen housings. Nothing you can do to stop it.

If you want to do it properly get a professional retrofit done and install projectors.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blinding on coming traffic wouldnt be the best idea. In this case i might look in to just getting a brighter bulb but not go overboard. How would you get a projector in to the housing? Sounds like a great idea but havent seen it yet. Dont recall any honda bike with projectors.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats an amazing cutoff much like the ones on cars. Its pretty serious work to retrofit forsure not a task i could tackle myself. I would probably end up breaking something. How much does this usually cost to do?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
A professional retrofit can cost around $500-$600 with labor.

I think it is well worth it for the added safety. Viability is much better. Opt for a bixenon projector to increase high beam output as well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks rrkenz, 500-600 sounds a little steep but i guess in the end it pays off for safety and looks too. So it not just a cosmetic mod but a functional one too which is nice. I will be looking in to this. DO you know what temperature the bulbs that are used in the picture you referenced?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
4300-5000k is the recommended kelvin rating.

You could try to do it yourself if you are a hands on kinda person.

I'd try to get a quote. It might be cheaper than 500-600

Just google projector retrofit or search on local classifieds like craiglist. There are people who offer the service all over the place.

The important thing about a projector is that you can still have xenon bright light but you don't have to worry about blinding oncoming traffic. Where as a HID kit in a regular headlight will blind everyone and not be as effective in pointing the light towards the right direction.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So pretty much the projector diverts the beam of light properly to the road. I guess that a safer option to go with in the long run, I find myself driving slower in dark roads without lights because the lights spreads wide but not further so I cant make out the road conditions ahead sometimes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So this is what keeps blinding me. I was always wondering how they got those bulbs to be so bright, I hated these guys with a passion. The light was just too much so whenever I see these guys with these lights I would just merge to the right avoiding the beam.

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
I just saw the CBR500R over the weekend at the motorcycle show. I talk to one of the Honda representatives and suggested this idea and asked him what he thought of the whole projector idea. And he said its a great idea but the only thing is the cost and time put in to using these projector headlight systems. He said that he can't see Honda doing this anytime soon till the cost of projectors go down, and even if they did incorporate it in their bikes it will be more higher up in the premium lines like the supersports.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
So this is what keeps blinding me. I was always wondering how they got those bulbs to be so bright, I hated these guys with a passion. The light was just too much so whenever I see these guys with these lights I would just merge to the right avoiding the beam.
If they are aimed right they shouldn't be blinding you.

Only trucks and SUVs blind me. The whole point of the projector is to aim the light so it DOENSN'T blind you.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey all.

I recently purchased a cbr500r in white. I would like to upgrade the headlight system. Has anyone actually purchased and installed the 2013 - 2014 Honda CBR500R 500R HID BiXenon Projector kit with angel eyes halo system on their bike?

It looks promising but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew from a mechanics standpoint.
Not recommended to install it yourself.
Might as well get it to your local bike shop to mod it for you.
And btw the hid kit is a little bit too expensiveg$209???

I can get it from china from anywhere $50-$80 usd for the hid unit with angel eye. But too lazy to open up the headlight.
Done it on my car headlight. But u need heat gun/big oven, headlight sealant, solder, and 4-6 hours to disassemble and reassemble it.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
A professional retrofit can cost around $500-$600 with labor.

I think it is well worth it for the added safety. Viability is much better. Opt for a bixenon projector to increase high beam output as well.
If you're in the US, this guy will do it for much less:

https://www.facebook.com/AffordableHIDRetrofitting

Mostly works in the Yamaha world and hangs out on several of the Yamaha forums (IIRC, he rides an FZ1) which is where I know him from. You remove your headlight, send it to him and his turnaround is pretty quick. Does fantastic work and will customize paint, colors, etc. to fit your needs.

If you need to pay somebody to remove the headlights and mount the ballasts/wiring when you get the headlight assembly back then yeah, the labor is likely to hit $500-600 total.

(Ooops, sorry, didn't realize I had posted this once before.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts