Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I will be fitting heated grips soon to my 2017 CB500F UK model. I am thinking of powering it from the sumitomo connector behind the headlights.
1. What are the colours for the live and ground at this connector?
2. Is the connector exactly the same as the one under the seat?

Counting on your wisdom as always

·
Registered
387 Posts
Ground is normally green on Hondas. Check with a multi-meter if you’re unsure. If you’ve not got one, use a lamp (bulb) with two fly leads; connect one to the neutral on the battery and the other to one of the pins in the plug. If the lamp lights up when you turn the ignition on, that’s the positive.

·
Registered
387 Posts
And yes, the connector is identical. A Sumitomo HM.

·
Super Moderator
758 Posts
As per my service manual the colors on the front option plug are green (ground) and violet-red (switched 12v)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can't run heated grips from that connector, The cables might burn out. The grips connect directly to battery and you can then connect it through a relay if you want it to power off when bike switched off.

·
Super Moderator
758 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can't run heated grips from that connector, The cables might burn out. The grips connect directly to battery and you can then connect it through a relay if you want it to power off when bike switched off.
I'm pretty sure you can safely run heated grips off from the options plug.
Heated grips consume 2.5-3A current. The Options plug is an ACC hot positive circuit protected by a 7.5A fuse, and has enough gauge wire to serve the hot grips directly.
No need to rewire the bike.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Attaching heated grips is literally why Honda put the connector there!

The front option connector is used by Honda to install their O.E.M. heated grips and a 12V socket, as well as a light bar on the X models too.

As Oyabun says, you can run up to 90W across both connectors combined, and 120W on newer (possibly X only) models which are rated for 10A.

They only way you will burn the cabling out is if you replace the fuse with one rated higher than printed on the fuse box cover.

·
Registered
82 Posts
About the heated grips, I intend to follow the path set forth by this fine Czech gentleman in Youtube.

He first installed a USB charger, and then he bought some cheap easy-to-install-and-remove velcro-attached USB-connected heated grips.

USB charger installation:

Heated grips with USB connector:

That's two birds with one stone. Seems easy and very cheap to do. And as a plus to remove the heated grips will be just so easy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts