Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone has added a gear position indicator to their 500X. I was a little dismayed to find that Honda didn't include this. I thought that pretty much all late model bikes had it, but maybe I shouldn't be surprised that the X doesn't have it because it's a cheap entry-level bike. So, has anyone done this, and if so, how do you like it?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Gear indicators were added to the cluster in 2019, but lots of people on here have added GiPro type gear indicators to older models because they are cheap and simply plug into the diagnostic socket under the seat.

The only downside is that because they calculate the gear from the revs and speed, they do not work when the clutch is in. Which for me is the only time I actually would like to know, as thee are times I stop suddenly and forget I did not fully downshift.

But other than when slipping the clutch, as higher revs for the speed obviously give a lower gear reading, mine has never shown any problems. I attached my indicator to the bike using a No More Nails strip and despite being exposed to all weathers is still stuck fast.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Was wondering if anyone has added a gear position indicator to their 500X.
I installed the Idea Motorcycle Gear Indicator in my 2014 CB500F and am happy with it.
I have the red color and can read it in direct sun. When I bought it, you peeled off the original plastic cover over the LED and glued on the thicker cover that comes with the product.
There are other brands.

As mentioned above it does not indicate a gear while the clutch is in. It's cable plugs into the red electrical plug under the seat.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The only time you need top know which gear your in is when you reach cruising speed on the freeway and your wondering if you did reach the last gear.
Then your tach will tell you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses - didn't know that a GPI could just plug into the diag port, although I still don't know exactly where where the diag port is on my 2018 CB500X. On the other end, I've found brackets that will allow the GPI to be installed on the handlebars. However, they still require that the GPI be taped to the bracket. I'm not a fan of tape - was hoping that there is a bracket that would house the GPI without tape. Does this exist?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I just cut a piece off a strip of No More Nails and stuck the side of mine to the side of the panel on my 500F, it has held perfectly despite being exposed to all weather.

The diagnostic port should be in the middle of the area behind the battery under the driving seat. It has a red cap.

·
Registered
452 Posts
When i fitted a GPI to my older bikes I would make a bracket out of alloy and fix the GPI with velcro, it gave me a less permanent fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts