Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a Gopro Hero 5 Black & already have a fantastic aftermarket exhaust; IXIL L3X Slip on Hyperflow Dual in Black.

Bottom line; in the past I put my gopro sessions cameras up front (usually on front fender) for the best picture but am inundated with wind noise.

Has anyone attached a microphone from their gopro back to the exhaust to climate the wind noise & capture the engine note?

If so, how & what did you purchase?

Any tips would be appreciated.

I love this site, all of the mods I have done came from this site - best & first; the IXIL Exhaust changed my bike from a Sewing Machine to a Contender with no loss of speed.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I use a Sony ActionCam myself and it does have terrible wind noise issues. My remedy was found online: cut down foam ear plugs into small enough disks to fit between the protective case and the mic holes in the camera. Worked wonders for me. I have also read that others that mount their GoPro on their helmet run a mic cord from camera into their backpack. Or if its mounted close enough on the bike, to a rear pillion bag to catch the exhaust note without the wind noise.

·
Registered
648 Posts
It seems like I am the only gopro user here. Never looked at Sony, are they better?
Wish I could compare it to GoPro. It's a decent camera, but the GoPro might be better. The vids I have taken with it seem a little more grainy than the GoPro ones I have seen. I have tried both 720dpi and 1080dpi and it doesn't seem much difference. But mine is an older version, they have updated it a bit now. So the newer Sony could be on par, but GoPro seems to be the gold standard. Mine was a gift, so that's why I use it. Great choice on pipe BTW, I have the IXIL Hyperflow as well.

Here are some vids from my Sony I took on my CBR600F3 The top one is with the sound dampening, the bottom without.

https://youtu.be/Otkx0aP1LdA

·
Super Moderator
1,226 Posts
@Wakefield says you can't receive PMs, so in reply to yours to me:

Not a great deal of difference with audio pickup between models or brands hey... I've used the same method with older GoPros, my current Xiaomi action cam, multiple digital cameras...

Just use PVA glue so it can be removed and clean off with a damp cloth, geez even a little Blu-Tak will do the trick. I only use the method as the need arises for what I want to record. There is a slight reduction in noise, but honestly usually the things I'm recording in those scenes are pretty loud to begin with, like said exhaust. Note also that most internal microphones are pretty cheap n nasty, so it would be expected to not get stellar results from the onset.
If you're a strong audiophile the mic accessory is obviously going to be the best option.

P.S. a microphone wind muffle (deadcat) is the industry standard for reducing wind noise, so yeah, this is just something that replicates that.

·
Registered
648 Posts
THANK YOU GUYS, ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS?

And I should have titled the thread;

How do you make better videos with the sound of the bike's exhaust & less wind noise.

Great sound from your 600!

IXILL seems to be the very best option] for the Honda's in terms of "just a slip on ..."

I shouldn't complain about my noise - there is so much on your bike it's overwhelming the video quality but I just started & barely know how to boil water so you have inspired me to hire some kid who can help me edit my movies.

By a fluke my wind noise is lower - I am not using gopro software but iMovie & it's supposedly so much better according to my 12 year old teacher.

I am 55 so the only moving pictures we saw as kids were when an earthquake happened in an art gallery.

The external micro phone sounds like the best option thus far-i don't want to be a swinging dick who talks in the movie, it's all about the feeling, the sounds (wind included at speed but edited) & the visuals.
Yeah, the wind is a big detractor. I have been trying to play around with camera positioning as well. Helmet mounting is terrible. It's up too high and looks like you are going 20mph when you're doing 75. I am going to experiment allot more this spring by crafting some mounting brackets for the 500R. I made one for the 600 and I am happy with it. But it's all part of the fun.

As for your replies, I think you are clicking on our names to respond and private messaging all of us. The best way to respond so everyone on the thread can see it is to click "Quote" below the message in the thread you want to respond to. You will see it next to "Multi Quote" and "Quick Reply". Just click that, scroll to the bottom of the original message and type in what you want to respond with. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
@Droman1972 is correct to assume the newer Sony action cams are better. Mine is on equal footing in many ways to the GoPro and I'd say it's better than the GoPro in some ways. They both experience the problem you're trying to overcome. I know that many people use an external device to record their audio and then sync it later after "cleaning" the audio file. As with anything, the more money you're willing to spend the better the result you're going to get.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Droman1972
1 - 7 of 7 Posts