Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The main thing I hate about my 500f is trying to get on and off the bike with the stupid design of the rear end and pillion seat, which makes it difficult to swing your leg over, it’s not the height of the bike, because when I sit on it my feet are flat on the floor. Has anyone tried standing on the foot rest or is this too difficult because of the angle the bike is on when on the side stand. Has anyone any other thoughts.

Plasma1

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I am 5'7" and have a tail bag on the bike (500F and all my other bikes) . To make mounting & dismounting easier, I grab my right ankle with my right hand.
That insures that my right leg is bent at the knee and that my foot clears the tail bag.

Ride safely,

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am 5'8" and only have a problem when I have luggage adding height or width, either on the pillion set or soft saddle bags. I do not have to hold my leg, but otherwise do the same as ExTex and bend my knee so the leg points upwards. That way it only had to clear the front seat. The only difficulty is remembering to do that and not instinctively try to get on normally!

I have never tried the peg method, I am worried about the bike toppling, although I do not see why it should not work.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I stand on the foot rest and swing my leg over whenever my tendonitis is acting up.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
443 Posts
I am 5’10”. When I first bought the 500 I had just had a hip replacement on my right side. Easiest mounting for me was to bend the right knee & place it on the saddle & then pivot the leg over the pillion. The most difficult, & funny for others to watch, is when I have a bunch of camping gear tied down on the pillion. If the bike is on solid ground, standing on the foot peg does work well, although it does seem a bit weird at first.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I stand on the footpeg to mount and dismount when I have my tailbag on.

·
Registered
520 Posts
If i have a tail bag or side cases on I do the "high kick" to slide my foot over the seat. On my R model the footpeg is too far back to stand on it and swing my leg over.

·
Registered
600 Posts
My #1 complaint about my old '78 BMW was its height. A fellow oldster BMW rider told me that he grabs his right leg and "helps" lift it up and over the high seat. I started doing that and other than looking goofy, it really helps. At my age, however, it became too much of a chore, along with the weight, so decided to go smaller, hence the CB500F.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I'm about 5'9" and I haven't had a problem lifting my leg over the seat, but I haven't had any luggage on the bike either (only on my back). When I'm feeling my age (I'm only 33, but sometimes it feels like 53) I can sometimes be a bit stiff and that makes it more difficult, but I can do it. The main problem that I have, probably due to a lack of exercise, is my muscles pulling and hurting. Usually from my riding pants riding up I think. I can end up with pressure on my legs that must be causing blood flow problems or something. I start to get a pain similar to a charlie horse, and usually I hop off of the bike as quickly as I can to relieve the pressure before it actually horses. By the time I get going I think my mind is off of it enough to not bother me. When I first got on my friend's Hayabusa just to take it around the block I immediately felt the same pain. I wasn't even sure if I'd be able to ride it because of it, but a friend said once I was going I'd be so excited I wouldn't feel anything. And I went for it. And he was right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am 5'6" and mount the bike by putting my left foot on the left peg then swinging my right leg over and standing on the right foot peg 999/1000 times. The kickstand is very reliable. I even turn the bike on the kickstand in the garage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I find that bending my leg in as close to my butt as possible while swinging it over is much easier than keeping my leg extended. The mass of your entire leg is close to your body so their's less "end weight" you have to move. Also bending my legs makes for quicker mounting as I can kick my leg back out instead of swinging it around and accidentally kicking my exhaust or something.

Much like holding a weight out in front of you versus holding it closer to your body.

And then as others have mentioned. You foot-pegs serve the dual purpose of making it easier to mount on your metal steed if your not agile enough for the above approach (for the older gentlemen riders)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found removing the passenger grab bars significantly reduced the number of times I smacked my shins on them when getting on/off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
5-10 and use the foot peg for mounting and dismounting when using my tailbag. You can get a wider footplate accessory for the base of the side stand if you are concerned about it sinking

·
Registered
20 Posts
never thought about it before....that being said I am sitting here with broken back, r leg and l hip from motorcycle crash...I am going to read over this

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mwlehman: Best wishes toward your recovery. May it not be overly long and we all hope it returns you to full utility of all components!

Ralph

·
Registered
146 Posts
Geez, all these great ideas. And all this time I've been dragging around a step stool with a rope tied around one of it's legs.. Works great, but it's a booger to hold onto while I'm riding.:wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts