Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
So I've had my cbr500r now for 2 years and have done over 20,000km on it.
I want to see what people have done about gearing
I was thinking about dropping a tooth in the front to liven the bike up. But I still do alot of highway cursing
Just wondering what else would be affect

·
Registered
280 Posts
There's lots of post on the Forum from previous discussions if you care to look while others chime in. Over 10K post just in engine and technical segments.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Most people seem to go the other way. Dropping two teeth at the back, or going up one at the front, to raise the gearing. It’s what I have done, and IMHO, the bike rides much nicer than on the stock ratio, with no discernible loss of overall performance.

We all have personal preferences though, and a sprocket change is quick and easy to do and see if you like it; and to undo if you don’t.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
110 Posts
Each tooth on the front sprocket is 6.7% change in rpm. More teeth = -6.7% rpm
Less teeth +6.7% more rpm.

That's about 300 rpm at highway speeds.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket of my 500X. This was done for off-road riding and increasing torque to get my extra weight moving. On the street, it definitely makes the bike more zippy off of the line if you are pushing it. It does increase the RPMs up at higher speeds. I would only be concerned if you spend a lot of time above 75 MPH/120 KPH. Otherwise, like others have said, give it a shot. It is an easy enough job to do and undo. Happy riding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I do a lot of highway commuting at 100km/h so i herd going 1 tooth down on the front only brings the from up a little so shouldn't affect it too much

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all
So I've had my cbr500r now for 2 years and have done over 20,000km on it.
I want to see what people have done about gearing
I was thinking about dropping a tooth in the front to liven the bike up. But I still do alot of highway cursing
Just wondering what else would be affect
I went up one tooth on the front,( $20 and 1/2 hour job) and its much better on the open road and not much difference down low.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts