Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New CBR500R rider and I ride through a mix of city and highway. Still in the break-in period, so I am trying to put the engine through the ranges of its power band and take a mix of highway and back roads to give the gears a proper workout. With the 8K RPM redline, I've found myself generally shifting each gear around the 5-6K RPM mark, to where I may be cruising a road with a 45mph limit in 4th at 4K RPM.

I will read back through the owner's manual, and obviously each situation is different, but I want to avoid any engine lugging. I don't think I have a problem knowing when to shift up or down, but rather am I in the proper gear to match speed. I tend to be in the following ranges:

1-10mph: 1st (2nd if rolling to a yield briefly)
11-20mph: 2nd
20-35mph: 3rd
35-50mph: 4th
50-60mph: 5th
60mph+: 6th

Now this isnt firm, but generally where I am and in these ranges I typically am around 4-5K cruising. For example, if I am in 3rd taking a turn I dont necessarily downshift to 2nd but the RPMs may drop to 2.5-3K RPM and I can grunt out of the corner and get up to 35 at 4-5K RPM.

Hopefully this makes sense, but am I lugging it keeping it at around 4K RPM when cruising in these ranges? I don't think I am, I think lugging it when I am in like 4th trying to take a corner going 20mph and I can feel and hear the bike struggling. However, I am not experienced enough to know when I am lugging in higher gears at higher speeds to know if I should be a gear lower with higher RPMs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
4K and up is not lugging in 4th, 5th, 6th. 4K-5K rpm is fine. As you say, 3rd can use lower rpm without lugging at moderate throttle.

Sounds like you have found where the bike is comfortable.

Don't forget using increasing amounts of throttle, not just rpm, is part of a traditional break-in. So sooner or later you will just have to have fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't forget using increasing amounts of throttle, not just rpm, is part of a traditional break-in. So sooner or later you will just have to have fun.

When I am on the back roads in 3rd or 4th I will open the throttle to raise the RPMs and then let it engine break a few times to wear it in. I tend to do this through the gears anywhere from 3rd through 6th. Since 6th is more of an overdrive, not so much but I do it a little to break it in. I seldom find myself in 6th unless at the 55mph+ mark; sometimes I just keep it in 5th at about 5-5.5K RPM.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
It sounds like you've found where you and your bike are comfortable. This motor is happy all throughout the rev range, so find where you're happy and your motor will comply. As far as the break in, I typically stay out of these discussions because they tend to turn into the hard or soft break in argument, but I'll just say that it's okay to run up the RPM up during break in. The main thing is just to modulate throttle/RPM. During break in, I would alternate between 5th and 6th during highway riding to accomplish that. I would often run the RPM up to 7.5k before shifting through 3rd, 4th, and 5th. I have over 50,000 kms on the clock and still runs like new. Nothing but routine maintenance since day 1. I'm about to head out for a joy ride right now, in fact. Congrats on the new bike. Stay safe, have fun!

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts