Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, am a learner and got on my Honda CB 500 2019 model for the first time. It rode beautifully, but the issue I had was changing gears. I had to pull up immediately as my boot hardly fitted between the footpeg and gear lever, making changing gears an acrobatic feat. Is it just me getting used to a new bike with new boots? My wife, a seasoned rider suggested changing gears from the side with an inward / upward action. I learnt on a Suzuki 250 drz and had no issues. Comments anyone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My feet are rather generously sized and I've had some issues with the shifter on my 2018 CB500x. The thing that helped me the most is adjusting the shifter peg upward a bit by adjusting the shifter linkage. This is done by loosening the jam nut at the top and the bottom of the linkage (one of them is left hand threaded - the top one, IIRC). Turn the linkage - easy to do just with your fingers - to shorten it a bit and see if that helps. Keep adjusting until it works well for you. Keep in mind that raising the peg can make upshifts easier, while making it easier for your foot to rest on the shift peg and thereby not letting the shift lever go all the way up, making the shifting more difficult on the next downshift. That is, you have to balance the height of the peg to get good upshifts and downshifts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts