Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the product (made in China of course)...first hing was the connector....mine has two wires.....the one they sent
had three....the instructions say it has four.....tried to hook up first one and got all kinds of different readouts....not telling what gear....sent it back got another....same...told seller......mine /2 wires/new one three wires and connector different.....
anybody know what the **** do I do.....still wondering if I've gone through all the gears when riding!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Got the product (made in China of course)...first hing was the connector....mine has two wires.....the one they sent
had three....the instructions say it has four.....tried to hook up first one and got all kinds of different readouts....not telling what gear....sent it back got another....same...told seller......mine /2 wires/new one three wires and connector different.....
anybody know what the **** do I do.....still wondering if I've gone through all the gears when riding!
So you plug it to diagnostic socket and it's working but it won't program, well ask for money back and pay a bit more for one, that's what I would do. If it's compatible it will program easy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you plug it to diagnostic socket and it's working but it won't program, well ask for money back and pay a bit more for one, that's what I would do. If it's compatible it will program easy.
I paid $50...guess the main question is.....is the 2014 BR500R different as far as the plug in.....(2 wires vs.3 or four?)

·
Registered
193 Posts
That I cannot answer. Don't how it works on two wires when you need speed, revs,and gear position to make it work. Plus a feed and eartlh. You should as I recall put on a stand select first run to 3,000 display flashes then settles to solid,change gear to second and do the process for all gears. Should recognise each gear within seconds.

·
Super Moderator
713 Posts
It communicates via the diagnostic data bus with the ECU, to receive speed and RPM data. It uses a single wire ISO14320-K protocol for the communication therefore it would need 3 wires to connect.
GND
ACC (swithched 12V to provide power for the unit)
K-line (the common name of the above data bus)
I can't see how woukd it work via 2 wires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It communicates via the diagnostic data bus with the ECU, to receive speed and RPM data. It uses a single wire ISO14320-K protocol for the communication therefore it would need 3 wires to connect.
GND
ACC (swithched 12V to provide power for the unit)
K-line (the common name of the above data bus)
I can't see how woukd it work via 2 wires.
Just as I thought......guess I need to talk to the Honda people.....Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
That is what I feared, you are using the wrong port!

That is the options port for attaching accessories, it just a simple 12V switched connection.

The diagnostics port is red, with a flat cover, and should be near the frame on the righthand side of the bike.

·
Super Moderator
713 Posts
As someone said rightly. The DLC (diagnostic link connection) port is the red four pin connector, different from the Options plug.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is what I feared, you are using the wrong port!

That is the options port for attaching accessories, it just a simple 12V switched connection.

The diagnostics port is red, with a flat cover, and should be near the frame on the righthand side of the bike.
Am I blind?...The only
red is the battery shield.....should I look elsewhere?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think it's near the battery with a black cover that comes off to reveal a red plug. And by the way oyabun was right, your gear indicator will need to be three pin.

·
Registered
290 Posts
What is the thick sheath fastened to the frame in the bottom right corner of your photo? That is where it should be, the port may have a large black loose plastic surround for weather protection.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think it's near the battery with a black cover that comes off to reveal a red plug. And by the way oyabun was right, your gear indicator will need to be three pin.
No such luck!....will send pics....

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is the thick sheath fastened to the frame in the bottom right corner of your photo? That is where it should be, the port may have a large black loose plastic surround for weather protection.
The frame?....nothing really there.....Took battery out to no avail....will send pcs

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts
remove seat. look towards the rear pillion on the right side (brakes side) of the bike. it might be partially (or totally) hiding under a plastic cover.

here's a pic of my 2013 cbr500r shot towards the rear. look to the left of the accessory connector.
IMAG0707.jpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts