Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, I bought a 2017 CBR500R the person who I bought it from said the bike was sitting for a while, as a result of that I see corrosion inside the tank and the gas indicator is flasing would you recommend a gas treatment or do I need to remove the gas tank and clean it (I've never remove a moto gas tank), replace a sensor? I must add that I removed the old gas with a hose and pour new gas in the tank. thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey all, I bought a 2017 CBR500R the person who I bought it from said the bike was sitting for a while, as a result of that I see corrosion inside the tank and the gas indicator is flasing would you recommend a gas treatment or do I need to remove the gas tank and clean it (I've never remove a moto gas tank), replace a sensor? I must add that I removed the old gas with a hose and pour new gas in the tank. thanks
Your rust is likely due to the previous owner using gas containing ethanol. Ethanol causes gas tank (and fuel system) corrosion. In the future, try to find and fill your motorcycle (and car if it's a nice car) with ethanol free gas.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Any rust that is in the tank should be cleaned out so that there is none left.

Also, I think it is beyond reality to get ethanol-free gas at all times. ANY gas is corrosive to the inside of a non-coated tank.

Several possibilities: 1) there are places that sell coatings that go in gas tanks to keep them from corroding. IMO, this is not a good answer.

2) What I do, is to always use LUCAS gasoline additive (I purchase in gallons and add to all my vehicles at a 400:1 ration as they recommend.), which adds a bit of lube to the inside of the tank AND it lubes and keeps clean the injectors, etc. On my antique BMW, it was a mess inside the tank & carbs. I cleaned it out, then started using this Lucas stuff, and I never had an issue again. It kept the carbs lubes and clean - never another bit of dirt.

3) during storage times (winters) I take my tank off, and lube it inside with a coating of clean oil. Then when needed to use again, I rinse out with gasoline, install, and fill with fresh gas (w/Lucas) for riding.

If you don't want to remove & drain the tank for storage, I have heard it best to make sure tank is full - do not let it have air space which is where the corrosion starts.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still see some debris inside I'll keep switching to new gas to make sure I get everything out before I ride the bike. I'll look into the Lucas additive. how hard is to remove the gas tank? thanks you all.

·
Super Moderator
1,234 Posts
I still see some debris inside I'll keep switching to new gas to make sure I get everything out before I ride the bike. I'll look into the Lucas additive. how hard is to remove the gas tank? thanks you all.
Yeah I'd pull the tank to clean.
-Remove seat and knee panels
-undo 8mm bolts holding tank to frame up near the head stem
-tilt tank backwards, helps to prop it up with something
-unplug the pump from the loom on the left side
-disconnect the two breather hoses on either side, the connection joins are will be down near the frame
-where the fuel line connects to the throttle body, you want to get the little rubber insert so it's loop end is just around the fuel rail, then using pliers squeeze the blue clip and the fuel line will pull off.
-rest the tank back down and undo/remove the 10mm retaining bolt at the back of the tank.
... you can now lift the tank off from the bike.

Access the inside of the tank for cleaning by removing the fuel pump from the base of the tank.
Installation is the reverse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I'd pull the tank to clean.
-Remove seat and knee panels
-undo 8mm bolts holding tank to frame up near the head stem
-tilt tank backwards, helps to prop it up with something
-unplug the pump from the loom on the left side
-disconnect the two breather hoses on either side, the connection joins are will be down near the frame
-where the fuel line connects to the throttle body, you want to get the little rubber insert so it's loop end is just around the fuel rail, then using pliers squeeze the blue clip and the fuel line will pull off.
-rest the tank back down and undo/remove the 10mm retaining bolt at the back of the tank.
... you can now lift the tank off from the bike.

Access the inside of the tank for cleaning by removing the fuel pump from the base of the tank.
Installation is the reverse.

awesome thanks a lot for the instructions, I'll try to get it done this weekend. cheers mate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
for anyone wondering what happened, I did remove the tank it was the easier thing to do and I didn't have to take the bike apart. the next part is from researching in youtube. I had the the inside tank sucked in white vinegar for 24 hours and the tank cleared about 80%, the said to leave it for a least 2 days but this was my first time so I wasn't sure I wanted to leave it for 2 days in case of any issues, I then washed it with baking soda and distilled water to stop the acid from the vinegar. its been a couple of days and the tank is fine. I'll probably do another wash sometime in the near future to get the tank fully clean. thanks all, thanks tothezenith for the instructions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts