Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in what you guys are getting fuel consumption wise. Most forums appear to vary wildly. Is it location,riding style,or fuel type No matter how I ride within reason I get a minimum of 76mpg, Fastish within town/motorway, 80 to 86 mpg, these are average after 130mile ride.What's your take on it all.

· Registered
425 Posts
Interested in what you guys are getting fuel consumption wise. Most forums appear to vary wildly. Is it location,riding style,or fuel type No matter how I ride within reason I get a minimum of 76mpg, Fastish within town/motorway, 80 to 86 mpg, these are average after 130mile ride.What's your take on it all.
I'm looking at that UK flag (in your log-in logo) and 'wondering'... so maybe I'm wrong here.
If you're using the standard UK measure of UK 76 mpg ... that converts to US 63.3 mpg.
Both results are very respectable for any 500cc-class bike. But clearing up which measurement would be helpful for a clear comparison.

· Registered
103 Posts
My 2017 /F model consistently gets between 70-80 miles per US gallon. I'm very light (135#) and have fitted a 17T counter shaft sprocket, I run the engine in the 2500-5000 rpm range. Honda products have long been known to get excellent fuel mileage and mine is no exception,

Ralph

· Registered
563 Posts
My average mileage equates exactly to how enthusiastically I am twisting the throttle. If I am just putting around & up-shifting at about 4500rpm I can get something close to 75mph. If however I am being more spirited & pulling shifts at closer to 6-7000rpm mileage falls into the low 60s mpg. US gallons w/ 10% ethanol. The fuel consumption on this engine is amazingly economical for the fun delivered.

· Registered
38 Posts
I'm looking at that UK flag (in your log-in logo) and 'wondering'... so maybe I'm wrong here.
If you're using the standard UK measure of UK 76 mpg ... that converts to US 63.3 mpg.
Both results are very respectable for any 500cc-class bike. But clearing up which measurement would be helpful for a clear comparison.
On commuting I have 3.7l/100km. When travelling 4.7l/100km.
When I filled my cb500f yesterday, it took 14.08 liters after 510 km, which equates to 85.22 mpg US or 102.35mpg Imp on 94 octane E10. We have now traveled 216,440 km (134,490 miles) with motor, clutch, and gearbox untouched since leaving the factory. She still uses no oil and starts and runs as new. Does anyone have one that has traveled further?

· Registered
103 Posts
Old '38, that is fantastic! Has your bike had to have its valve clearances adjusted? Honda Motor should give you a new bike in exchange for advertising your bike's incredible endurance and reliability.
Ralph

· Registered
38 Posts
Old '38, that is fantastic! Has your bike had to have its valve clearances adjusted? Honda Motor should give you a new bike in exchange for advertising your bike's incredible endurance and reliability.
Ralph
G'day, Ralph. Apart from changing the oil and filter every 10,000 km, I get it serviced every 100,000 km whether it needs it or not. The first time, the valve clearances were checked and needed no adjustment and the plugs changed although they still looked great. At 200,000 km we didn't bother with valves or plugs as it was running well and we considered that like me, her life expectancy must be fairly short, so they could wait until she told me such things were needed. We are still waiting. I don't need a new one as this old girl will see me out, even though I average more than 100 km per day of late. I turn 85 next week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts