Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
If you have a decent mechanical understanding, it’s really not all that hard to upgrade the forks and shock. I just upgraded the forks with the Traxxion Dynamics kit and it was pretty simple to do with their instructions and the service manual. For the rear you can pick up a used gsxr750 shock cheap on eBay and it’s a fairly straight forward swap with minor plastic trimming. I had never done anything with motorcycle suspension prior and found it to be much easier than I had imagined.
+1 on the traxxion dynamics kit, as it comes all together and no parts hunting needed.
We don't know if the OP has ABS or not. In case it is an ABS bike, the gixxer shock will not fit.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you have a decent mechanical understanding, it’s really not all that hard to upgrade the forks and shock. I just upgraded the forks with the Traxxion Dynamics kit and it was pretty simple to do with their instructions and the service manual. For the rear you can pick up a used gsxr750 shock cheap on eBay and it’s a fairly straight forward swap with minor plastic trimming. I had never done anything with motorcycle suspension prior and found it to be much easier than I had imagined.
+1 on the traxxion dynamics kit, as it comes all together and no parts hunting needed.
We don't know if the OP has ABS or not. In case it is an ABS bike, the gixxer shock will not fit.
Thanks for the remind Oyabun. Fitment issues in the ABS model had slipped my mind.

·
Registered
675 Posts
For your weight, the stock suspension is definitely undersprung and underweight. (Don't feel ashamed for that, pretty much every normal western individual is out of the standardised Honda rider design weight target being about 70kg)
The most cost effective solution for the front is a PD valve + uprated linear springs + slightly heavier fluid combo.
For the rear the most cost effective method is to go for a cbr600 f4 shock rebuilt and resprung by Daugherty motorsports. There are more xpensive solutions, but that already makes a world of difference. These and a set of EBC brake pads will make your rides a lot better, and I bet that these would even net the same or better lap times than the added power of a full exhaust - should you ever consider visiting a track day.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Try fork preload adjusters first. That might be sufficient. If so, use the saved loot for better lights or a good backpack.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
648 Posts
I will echo Oyabun. I have a 2013 ABS model and went with the CBR600F4 shock built by Jamie Daugherty. I also did the full Racetech package in the forks with 10W oil. Suspension by far is the most transformative mod you can do on this bike. As for adding horsepower, I wisely spent the money on a stablemate instead of dumping a grand into getting 5hp. But honestly, if you aren't constantly attacking the twisties on your bike or going to a track, just some new fork springs and pre-load adjusters will be a decent enough upgrade. If you ultimately feel the bike is too underpowered to live with...save up and trade up.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Back to the Original Post: It was worth it to me, somebody else maybe not! Have a great day!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
For your weight, the stock suspension is definitely undersprung and underweight. (Don't feel ashamed for that, pretty much every normal western individual is out of the standardised Honda rider design weight target being about 70kg)
The most cost effective solution for the front is a PD valve + uprated linear springs + slightly heavier fluid combo.
For the rear the most cost effective method is to go for a cbr600 f4 shock rebuilt and resprung by Daugherty motorsports. There are more xpensive solutions, but that already makes a world of difference. These and a set of EBC brake pads will make your rides a lot better, and I bet that these would even net the same or better lap times than the added power of a full exhaust - should you ever consider visiting a track day.
And for the non-cost effective route?

·
Registered
675 Posts
The non-budget coscious route is to buy Matris or Adriani cartridges for the front forks.
There are different versions, go for a fully adjustable separate function (one side compression , other rebound, both preload) one.
To match it, choose your favourite shock manufacturer for the rear. Wilbers is great quality and value for its price - a fully adjustable model (both fast and slow compression, rebound and preload adjustable) can be bought for around 500-ish eur if I'm not mistaken.
In the states if you find a penske or similar at a good price that'd be great too. Ohlins even though being great had only a quite simple shock for the 500 series last time I've checked.
In case you're planning to go to track days also, go for a slightly longer rear shock. This raises the rear for dual benefit. Better turn in, and a bit more clearance once the bike is leaned over.

·
Registered
179 Posts
hawaiianbrian,

I'd love to see a picture of your bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I get home in a few weeks I will post some, after 23 weeks in Antarctica I am ready to go ride!

·
Registered
15 Posts
A full exhaust is worth it if you are going to add a PC-V or the like and tune the bike for it. On this bike I personally wouldn’t spend a fortune on the exhaust as many, myself included, have had good luck with the Ixil header and slip-on of choice.
If you really want to spend money on the bike, put it in the suspension. That has been the best money I have spent on this bike. It is a totally different machine once you get that sorted. It becomes almost telepathic in the turns. You think “lean” and with just the slightest input on the bars or pegs, it just goes where you want it without all the bounce and squirm.
JCarrithers, for a newbie like me with a 2016 CB500F and about 190/200lbs in full gear what suspension mods & slip on would you suggest? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
278 Posts
JCarrithers, for a newbie like me with a 2016 CB500F and about 190/200lbs in full gear what suspension mods & slip on would you suggest? Thanks in advance

Depends on how much you want to spend on the suspension and how loud or quiet you want the exhaust.
I used the Traxxion Dynamics kit up front and a GSXR750 shock in the back and am very happy with the results.
Exhaust is a personal preference thing. Installing just a slip on will only add sound. You won’t get any additional performance out of it. If that is all you are looking for then 👍🏻.

·
Registered
15 Posts
JCarrithers, thanks for the feedback. Slip-on should be fine for me as the current stock exhaust sounds pretty awful. The suspension tips are useful, thank you.

·
Registered
278 Posts
JCarrithers, thanks for the feedback. Slip-on should be fine for me as the current stock exhaust sounds pretty awful. The suspension tips are useful, thank you.
You’re welcome. See my “for sale” thread. I’m parting mine out. If you see anything you are interested in, send me a PM. I still have to pull my suspension off so let me know if you’re interested in that also.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts