Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

fuel cap?

29K views 62 replies 45 participants last post by  Mustang_64_HL 
#1 ·
What do you guys do with this thing when filling up? I've been setting it down next to the pump. Darn Honda for cutting costs. Makes it slightly annoying when filling up. /end rant.

#2 ·
Don't get me started on the fuel cap!! I wouldn't mind if it actually fitted but mine (and all the others I've seen) doesn't line up with the recess in the tank - which makes it look even worse!

Reactions: DeaDStarS
#9 ·
Glad I'm not the only one bitching! :D That was my first complaint months ago! :eek: Great opportunity for the after market! :rolleyes:

Reactions: shwafia
#55 ·
I'd go so far as to say..a great opportunity for the competition!
That cap is my pet peeve..

When the Yamaha MT/FZ-7 gets ABS (U.S.,probably next year), I might look at it.

A "proper" tank cap, gear indicator, plus lighter to boot.
Now if they could just make the tank bigger!

I like the Hondas 200+ range, and it is a dependable bike.

Regards, Alan
CBR500RA '13 Red 19000 mls
CB500FA '14 Black 15000 mls.

#10 ·
I take my gloves off and set them on top of the triple tree right in the middle, then rest the cap on them while I sit on the bike and fill up. It's annoying not having a hinged cap, but hey, I guess they have to cut corners where they can.

#20 ·
My Honda Fit's gas cap didn't come with a cord on it so setting the gas cap on the pump while refueling has become second nature putting the bikes fuel cap up there didn't seem unusual as well. I have to take my gloves off, get my credit card out of my pocket and pay at the pump before getting gas so having no hinge on the gas cap is the least of my time consuming efforts at the pump.

#13 ·
Well, I dislike the hinged cap on my Nighthawk S. It forces me to lean farther forward and hold the nozzle at a forward-leaning angle.
I like the separated cap. I use it to catch drips (nozzle in left hand for fueling while holding cap in right; sitting on bike of course).

Reactions: NakdWhtnonABS
#14 ·
I usually just put the fuel cap in my mouth and suck on it while I'm gassing up. I find that it is most efficient to refuel myself and the bike at the same time!

#16 ·
Refueling

Probably everyone here knows this but just in case...

Sitting on your bike while you refuel will result in burns to a delicate part of your anatomy if you happen to spill petrol on yourself.

It doesn't have to catch fire, petrol burns the skin on contact although it may take a moment or two before you notice.

#17 ·
Probably everyone here knows this but just in case...

Sitting on your bike while you refuel will result in burns to a delicate part of your anatomy if you happen to spill petrol on yourself.

It doesn't have to catch fire, petrol burns the skin on contact although it may take a moment or two before you notice.
In 15 years never got any petrol on that part of me and always refuelled sat on bike otherwise lose a few litres of space in tank. I do tend to refuel slowly and let it settle a bit.

#18 ·
Don't see the point myself, you've got to get off it at some stage of filling up so why not straight away? Also if something does go wrong (fire, spillage etc) you are going to be in one **** of panic sat on the bike!

Each to his/her own though!

#23 ·
Need to do a poll. I think we dislikes are winning! :confused: :rolleyes:

#29 ·
I have been wondering about this, then I noticed the other day a convenient shaped hole on the black plastic piece of the fairing that the display sits in. Basically the hole that allows access to the back of the headlights. Turn the cap upside down, key doesnt fall out due to the way the lock is designed and the key helps lodge the cap in this triangular hole.
No need to worry then about getting it dirty when setting it down somewhere, or it falling off the petrol pump. Of course this is only useful if your bike is a CBR500R.

#31 ·
I leave the key in it, and rest it on my seat.

#35 ·
I just drop it on top of the gas pump. I didn't realize that wasn't the norm lol. Maybe cause I'm taller it's easier for me, but it seemed the most convenient area since I have to turn toward the pump to pay anyways, and again putting the nozzle away and can reach it while still sitting down.

Also with petrol burning skin, it must take a lot or something because I let the nozzle dip on my bare hands instead of the bike and it doesn't bother me at all.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#37 ·
Never mind the cap, I'm trying to figure out how to keep the pump from cutting me off before the tank is actually full.[/QUOTE

Hold the end of the nozzle just above the internal hole that is designed to stop diesel nozzles inserting. Have the nozzle sitting in that slot can easily result in back pressure, cutting off the flow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.