Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
It is kind of embarrassing to have to do this little dance as the gas station though. What did they really save, like $1.25?
Honestly, every bike I've owned has had a gas cap that is physically removed when fueling. I've never even given it a second thought, always just set it on the triple tree somewhere and it's never dropped. I'm not breaking out into any dance moves while fueling either.

Maybe y'all are clumsy? :confused2

Stop dancing at the pump!

·
Registered
259 Posts
My Honda Fit's gas cap didn't come with a cord on it so setting the gas cap on the pump while refueling has become second nature putting the bikes fuel cap up there didn't seem unusual as well. I have to take my gloves off, get my credit card out of my pocket and pay at the pump before getting gas so having no hinge on the gas cap is the least of my time consuming efforts at the pump.
Fit had no plastic cord? NOW THAT is cutting corners ladies and gents!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
This never really bothered me. I wouldn't mind having a flip-up cap that stayed with the bike if it's designed well, but I'm really not afraid of scratching my gas cap. I mean, the bike is only $~6500 new. And it's going to get scratched, and minor scratches really shouldn't hurt it any.

I always get off of my bike, take my gloves and helmet off, and typically set those down on the triple tree (helmet resting on the gloves). Sometimes I might hang the helmet on my right handlebar, or set it on the curb next to the gas pump, arbitrarily or if it's windy. I leave the key in the gas cap, and I set it down typically on the concrete "curb" surrounding the pumps (next to where I'd put my helmet), "face-down" resting on the key and the edge. I reinstall the gas cap and if I didn't pay at the pump put the key in my pocket immediately after pumping. It's really no different than you'd do with a cage (except with the car I typically rest the cap on the car itself because, again, **** scratches). I don't even really want a vehicle that I have to baby that much. Why would you? I'd much rather be able to afford the vehicle and scratches be damned. Those are love marks. That's life. Sorry, the vehicle has been used. Tough.

Around here, most gas stations refuse to fill up bikes. I don't know if they're afraid their employees will drip gas on the bikes and people will get mad, or if they'll be nervous/clumsy around bikes and scratch or drop them or whatever, but yeah. At full-service stations I've had them say, "We're not allowed to fill it for you," and hand me the pump. I was a little bit uncomfortable with letting them fill my bike anyway so I didn't really mind, but I doubt I'd care unless they did something stupid like drop the bike or sit on it or something.. :angryfire

I think there was one gas station where they did pump my gas for me, and again I didn't really care either way. In the cage it's nice because you don't have to get out. On the bike, I don't really care because I have to get off anyway. Unless I want some dude handling nozzles in my groin area... :eek Not that there's anything wrong with that if you're into that sort of thing...

·
Registered
310 Posts
I just hold onto it with my left hand while pumping with my right, up til now have always been on the right (exhaust) side of the bike, since I have to walk inside to pay afterwards.

What annoys me most about refuelling is the lack of BP stations near where I live (they're all Shell which supposedly has a cleaning additive not suitable for bikes). Always fill up with 98 RON.

Each bar on the R is ~3 litres which is good for ~70km - total being 15 litres/350km on average (or just a little under). If I've got one bar left I'll do the maths and add 10-12 litres.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
It annoyed on my hornet 600 (2001). Just seemed a silly idea when to get the most fuel in you are best sitting on it or having a main stand. Mine rolled off the pump area and bent the key back in 2001 luckily they were some what bendy keys lol.

Still I didnt let this stop me getting the 500r its just one of those things on a budget bike, on any bike I have had even more expensive ones there are always niggles!

I now like to get pump in left hand and hold cap with right, easy with low seat on R now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Honestly, every bike I've owned has had a gas cap that is physically removed when fueling. I've never even given it a second thought, always just set it on the triple tree somewhere and it's never dropped. I'm not breaking out into any dance moves while fueling either.

Maybe y'all are clumsy? :confused2

Stop dancing at the pump!
I felt the same way until mine fell off the triple tree. Never say never, stupid things happen. Things that could be prevented with a super cheap hinged gascap.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Is everyone taking the piss about this? :shy

A fuel tank cap and you don't know what to do with it? :eek

Doesn't anyone here ride dirt bikes?

How the **** are you all getting on with the tubeless tyre valves, they must be driving you crazy. And then there is the air in the tyres too! :honda
I agree! Pretty silly thread really. Is there one on how to carry a disc lock?

Reactions: AZChaos

·
Registered
341 Posts
thinking about it, its no fuss really. usually when i know that my bike needs fuel i prepare the money and put them within reach in my jacket. i drive to the petrol station that most of the time there's someone pumping gas for me. so i just stop near the pump remove the key and remove the fuel cap, give him the cash ,put the cap back and off we go

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
There has been a lot more silly threads on here thats for sure as ever what bothers one doesn't bother another.
Forum is here to discuss things for me its been quite interesting to see how others around the world get there fuel in there bike, for example in US there being pump attendants never seen that in UK!

If you have nothing useful to add its best not to aything at all!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sounds like if I designed and made an external hinge that epoxied to the cap and tank and allowed it to flip forward (hinge on nose of cap), there would be a market for that... I have had the bike for 3 days, and compared to my SV650, the loose cap is annoying, but not a deal breaker....still, an aftermarket fix would be nice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a top box that I remove when joy riding around, and there is a kind of table that I set the fuel cap on. One time it slipped off and slightly bent the key when it hit the ground. Luckily not too bad and I was able to use it. Not my favorite design feature.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one bitching! :D That was my first complaint months ago! :eek: Great opportunity for the after market! :rolleyes:
I'd go so far as to say..a great opportunity for the competition!
That cap is my pet peeve..

When the Yamaha MT/FZ-7 gets ABS (U.S.,probably next year), I might look at it.

A "proper" tank cap, gear indicator, plus lighter to boot.
Now if they could just make the tank bigger!

I like the Hondas 200+ range, and it is a dependable bike.

Regards, Alan
CBR500RA '13 Red 19000 mls
CB500FA '14 Black 15000 mls.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm amazed a thread can go +50 posts deep about folks whining about where to put their gas cap. :confused

Reactions: Xch

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I really like how this forum is more tolerant than most. Is it because a lot of us are a bit older? Or maybe nice people are attracted to Honda's?

I do find this amusing though. Set it on top of the pump, replace when done. I don't see the problem. Maybe I'm missing something.

Would make an entertaining vlog though. "Today I'm going to talk about how to put gas in a motorcycle that doesn't have a hinged gas cap".

·
Registered
850 Posts
I really like how this forum is more tolerant than most. Is it because a lot of us are a bit older? ...

I do find this amusing though. Set it on top of the pump, replace when done. I don't see the problem. Maybe I'm missing something.
100% agreed on both counts. :)

Reactions: Dave Edwards

·
Registered
190 Posts
Does anyone know if there is gas cap protector for 2016 model? The one with 5 screw holes. I just need a sticker type protector which I can stick on top, black or carbon fiber.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts