Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Don't get me started on the fuel cap!! I wouldn't mind if it actually fitted but mine (and all the others I've seen) doesn't line up with the recess in the tank - which makes it look even worse!

Reactions: DeaDStarS

·
Registered
565 Posts
Same as above... Not ideal but with gloves on etc its the best solution I have to date...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I set one or both gloves on the ground and lay the cap on top of them (don't want to scratch it). I then pump and go in reverse order as I leave.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one bitching! :D That was my first complaint months ago! :eek: Great opportunity for the after market! :rolleyes:

Reactions: shwafia

·
Registered
219 Posts
I take my gloves off and set them on top of the triple tree right in the middle, then rest the cap on them while I sit on the bike and fill up. It's annoying not having a hinged cap, but hey, I guess they have to cut corners where they can.

Reactions: reesman

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Well, I dislike the hinged cap on my Nighthawk S. It forces me to lean farther forward and hold the nozzle at a forward-leaning angle.
I like the separated cap. I use it to catch drips (nozzle in left hand for fueling while holding cap in right; sitting on bike of course).

Reactions: NakdWhtnonABS

·
Registered
521 Posts
I usually just put the fuel cap in my mouth and suck on it while I'm gassing up. I find that it is most efficient to refuel myself and the bike at the same time!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Refueling

Probably everyone here knows this but just in case...

Sitting on your bike while you refuel will result in burns to a delicate part of your anatomy if you happen to spill petrol on yourself.

It doesn't have to catch fire, petrol burns the skin on contact although it may take a moment or two before you notice.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Probably everyone here knows this but just in case...

Sitting on your bike while you refuel will result in burns to a delicate part of your anatomy if you happen to spill petrol on yourself.

It doesn't have to catch fire, petrol burns the skin on contact although it may take a moment or two before you notice.
In 15 years never got any petrol on that part of me and always refuelled sat on bike otherwise lose a few litres of space in tank. I do tend to refuel slowly and let it settle a bit.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Don't see the point myself, you've got to get off it at some stage of filling up so why not straight away? Also if something does go wrong (fire, spillage etc) you are going to be in one **** of panic sat on the bike!

Each to his/her own though!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not to be b*****, but, who cares. This is my third bike with a similar set up. I'm used to it. No real inconvenience.
My Honda Fit's gas cap didn't come with a cord on it so setting the gas cap on the pump while refueling has become second nature putting the bikes fuel cap up there didn't seem unusual as well. I have to take my gloves off, get my credit card out of my pocket and pay at the pump before getting gas so having no hinge on the gas cap is the least of my time consuming efforts at the pump.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts