Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha everyone, I recently noticed my left fork having some caked on oil. I've never seen anything on it and almost thought I rode through something.. Its pretty clear now that it's leaking and I've never worked on forks before. Looking at the fork diagram to order new seals I didn't really know exactly what I needed to order. Has anyone ordered new seals and have any recommendations?
2014 CB500F

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Ooof. Yesterday went for a ride around town on vacation. Great ride, but after parking in the garage for 30 minutes I found a small puddle of oil dripping down my left fork... Looks like I have the same issue. I'm not mechanically inclined so I probably need a garage to do the work for me... Should I park it in the meantime?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had my seal leaking oil for a while now and have kept riding it. Thats just me.. it's my daily commuter 3 days out of the week, but it's definitely not leaving puddles. I live on Maui so I only have 2 options of bike mechanics to do the work for me and I was quoted 500$ (that's with me bringing my own seals) and after watching videos I've decided I'm just going to do it myself so I'll update you on the process if I think there's anything that would help. FYI I ordered my fork seals, dust covers, and lower and upper bushings on Revzilla and they're OEM Honda parts 80$. If you aren't mechanically inclined I think you can still do this job by watching Youtube videos but if you have garages around that will offer reasonable price for the work (500$ seems ridiculous for the work involved) The Honda CB500F can be tricky to lift in order to do the work on the front end. I'm doing the forks this weekend. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright I got the seals done. Took me about 5 hours. If you have the tools required ( Metric) wrench set including a 17mm hex bolt to remove the front bolt, Metric Allen wrench keys, you can do this job. I don't know much about the CBR but I'm sure it's similar and I'm sure there's even more videos on Youtube on the CBR than the CBF. I only emphasize the fact that Metric is needed because I'm American and I had to leave and purchase a Metric Allen wrench set to do the job so thought that might save someone a trip to the store in the middle of the job. I think I spent 110$ on seals, bushings and oil plus 5 hours of time. Ride safe! Oh yea and make sure you have a bottle of brake cleaner it works amazing to clean your parts up super quickly, buy 2 bottles its cheap!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Today my bike was picked up by the dealership for service. They're going to fix the fork leak and replace the brake fluid (and we'll see if they recommend any other work once they've done that). Jobs that I want to build up to doing myself, but at this point it will save so much time and money to just let the pros do it. 😁

I didn't want to order anything in advance because I couldn't even be sure what needed doing so I'm going to expect a 2 week wait for parts. It sounded like the fork fix was going to be about CAD$310 (after tax) for parts and labour. 🤞 I've already received my income tax receipt and put it into savings for this so I'm not worried about it for a change. I had a pitiful year last year due to mental health (even after collecting employment insurance for 3 months while I was sick) so I ended up getting $1000 back from the government. The timing was a blessing in plain sight. But only time will tell if they come back for it. :devilish:

I'm finally feeling myself again and going back to full time work. And so far work is looking like it will pick back up again. So my money anxiety is hopefully a thing of the past. 😇

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Thanks. CAD$369 later and the fork seal is fixed and I had the brake fluid replaced too. Went for a great ride yesterday that has me itching for more. 😁

1 - 11 of 11 Posts