Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how often you have to change your Front brake pads, I have to do mine about every 5000-6000 miles, not that im too bothered, 10 min job and the pads are cheap.

++++++++++++++++
2007 (57) Yamaha XT125X
2013 (63) Honda CBR500R
++++++++++++++++

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mine has 30.000km (almost 19.000 miles) and still can make it for more 3000km (almost 2000 miles). It's the stock one btw, never changed.
Rear pad can make the double at least.

The chain gives up in half the time. Every 12-20k km i've got to change the transmission kit. I lube it every week. It's a shame it's a 520 chain instead 525...

·
Registered
36 Posts
i got about 16,000km out of the front brakes, probably could have done another couple thousand but had the time so i changed them out,

the rear brake still has more than 50% left and im on 27,000km,

BRAD

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
If you change them that often, I would worry about the pads dragging. To test, go for a short ride where you don't use the front brake, then feel the temperature of the rotor. It should be as cool as the forks.

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
643 Posts
Because the bike is relatively light and the engine braking seems quite good (or bad depending on how you look at it!) I hardly seem to use the brakes. Just a quick stab or a light application and the speed is quickly scrubbed off.
I can't imagine having to replace them till at least 12000 miles.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Managed 14k on mine, still had another 2 or 3k left.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I eeked 24,000km out of the stock pads on my bike, but there was barely anything left by that time. Also my riding habits changed at about 8,000km from solely weekend rides to add riding in heavy traffic every day.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have 26k miles on mine and there is plenty left on the pads, but I'm changing them anyway. I commute to work on my bike, but mostly freeway and not a lot of stop and go.

If I left the stock ones on, I could probably get another 10k miles. There's a LOT left. Weird though looking at what others are getting.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Guys I'm worried about my front pad wear levels, but I made the mistake of not taking a good look at them before they were worn (or when new...). So whilst it looks to me like they're heavily worn, maybe they're not?

In the manual it talks about a wear marker but I can't see this. Can someone please take a photo of their front pads where the wear marker is visible, so I can compare to see if mine is actually gone, or if I'm just looking at the wrong thing?

Thankyou

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks

Yeah I've read the manual but like I said I can't see the markers it's referring to. I gues the other part of the story which I neglected to mention is that I recently had a service, and they told me the pads were fine. So I don't know if I'm looking for the wrong thing and they're OK, or if the service guys just didn't check and went yeah whatevs

So I was hoping to get an actual photo of a non-worn brake pad to see what the markers look like, rather than an illustration.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Wavefront, I couldn't get a decent photo but this should help... The wear indicators are small (less than 5mm long) voids in the pad material right up against the backing plate. If you wore your pads down to the point where you hit the indicators, you'd only have about 2mm or less of remaining pad thickness.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I changed mine at about 26,000 miles and they still had a lot of pad left. Engine braking helps a lot.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm at over 30k on my original pads. I do engine brake alot and i'm not a drive as fast so i can stop faster kind of driver so i have done well to not wear on brakes. I just heard a noise in my pad when releasing this morning at 32k miles so i'm gonna do a brakes service just because. THe pad still has wear tread remaining.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Im at 27,000 kms and I still have pleanty of meat left.
I changed mine at about 26,000 miles and they still had a lot of pad left. Engine braking helps a lot.
I'm at over 30k on my original pads. I do engine brake alot and i'm not a drive as fast so i can stop faster kind of driver so i have done well to not wear on brakes. I just heard a noise in my pad when releasing this morning at 32k miles so i'm gonna do a brakes service just because. THe pad still has wear tread remaining.
Geez, I’m glad y’all chimed in. I’ll have to check mine again but I have 15K miles & have checked my pads several times and there’s tons of meat on them when I look. I wasn’t aware of the gap and all these 8K mile post have me eager to check it out again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I checked with a flash light and saw the grooves. I’ve got plenty! It’s easiest if you look from in front of the bike and get down eye level next to the tire with a flashlight. You can’t see the rear but you can see the meat. I’ve got over 15K & non-abs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts