Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, this is quite a difference in engine size, and save your “that’s not a good idea”s because I already have almost everything I need. My current question is about hooking up some kind of fuel sensor to plug into my universal fuel gauge sender to plug into the dash. It’s basically a little computer that lets me hook up any fuel sensor to any gauge. It’s programmable. I’m looking for something non-invasive to the original gas tank if possible, such as an fuel pressure sensor that just measures the hydrostatic pressure of the gas tank before it goes into my inline fuel pump and regulator. Any ideas? (And yes, I’m planning on keeping it a trailblazer style bike.) Any other concerns about improbability or likely problems I’ll run into are very welcome.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I am planning to use the 2015 CBR500R wiring harness and display, so it’s not a COMPLETE sleeper . . .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also can’t really find another forum that would be a better place for this . . . it doesn’t seem like something people do that often.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Maybe I'm reading this question wrong. Are you asking for a fuel sensor to measure fuel tank quantity? How much fuel's in the tank. Or fuel pressure? Pressure of the fuel in an enclosed part of the system.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m doing it to measure the fuel in the gas tank. I’m a bit of a scatter brain, sorry for not being so clear.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Most of the bikes appear to have a simple float-style sending unit. But that float assembly is normally attached to the fuel pump assembly. NOT CHEAP. I'm sending a link for a 2018 Suzuki GSX250R showing a schematic of it's gas tank. Part # 2 is the fuel level sending unit. This particular unit is separate from the fuel pump and attaches to the inner lip, bottom opening, of the fuel tank. Works great, but geez how to modify another tank for the same idea?? I sent this diagram ONLY to give you a VISUAL of a possibility. I have no idea how you could do it. BUT, if you're up to this "Frankenstein Project", this may be an easy fix for you. Good Luck.

https://www.revzilla.com/oem/suzuki/2018-suzuki-gsx250r/fuel-tank?submodel=gsx250rl8

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I’m thinking of trying to figure out something that doesn’t involve me modifying the gas tank, that’s why I was thinking of some fuel pressure sensor just inline with the fuel tank to the external fuel sender that I’m going to use. The gas tank is small and I don’t think I could modify it to fit a ballast or internal fuel pump and sender inside of it without it hitting the top. I hope this makes sense. I’ll try to remember to make a little diagram when I get home to sort of explain my idea.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also; as an update; I’ve made steel brackets made out of that “L” shaped steel that fit onto the back two engine mounts, I just need to drill the holes and see how I need to modify the frame to fit this monster in it. I finished fabricating a new position for the ignition switch right below where the display goes, somewhat like what the newer bikes these day have.
I’ve made a cardboard cutout of the bracket to hold the display, I’ll modify it a little before cutting it out of steel. I’m going to put the appropriate bend in the bracket to angle the display a little better before I weld some metal underneath the bracket to strengthen it to prevent it from bending/changing the angle of the display over time.
As crazy as it sounds, I’m going to try and modify the original swing arm to house the new CBR500R rear tire, as it seems to be an easier solution than trying to modify the original wheel to stick out the sprocket further, plus I don’t want to lose all the power this engine has on a 2.5” wide wheel. XD
Pretty much everything electronic on the bike will be / already is just the wiring from the cbr’s harness, minus the blinkers and headlights, obviously.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. (Or any ideas of how to do the fuel sensor problem listed above!)

·
Registered
280 Posts
There’s this product that basically does exactly what I want, it’s just that I want to make it myself so I can send it to the CBR500R display and also not spend $180.00.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/223256685945
Nice set up. I've never run across this product, but it certainly would solve the problem and keep you fuel tank intact. You're certainly more adapt at solving unorthodox problems than I am. Best of luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finished modifying the frame, I just need to weld it together and I’m pretty sure the engine will fit nice and tight. I’m super excited because it seems like everything will fit with only a couple inches of modification/extension of the frame. Accidentally bought the abs setup because my display was for abs lol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can buy the hydrostatic fuel sender only for 99 plus shipping and you can use the original fuel gage as a display.
https://www.lskelectronics.com/fuelgaugeprouni
Oh my, how did I miss that . . . thank you soooooo much! Awesome, this is one of the last parts I need for this bike. I’ll probably just disconnect the ABS light on the display.

·
Super Moderator
718 Posts
I'm not 100% sure now as it was quite a time ago, but the ABS warning signal line has to be pulled to ground to switch off the light. Check the service manual to confirm.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
There is this thing that chopper guys do but it requires a slight modification to the tank.

You weld two barbed 1/4 inch 90 degree fittings to the tank with the barbs facing each other.
One fitting is at the bottom of the tank and one is at the top.
You take a length of clear 1/4 inch fuel line and clamp it in between and use it as a site glass. Easy fuel gauge but a slight modification. I've seen it and it works and doesn't look bad if done right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update;
I’ve done a lot for the bike, still haven’t decided if I need to modify the swing arm, with the engine centered, the sprocket only looks a half inch off the rear, but since I haven’t decided how I’m going to problem solve it I haven’t welded the brackets I’ve made for the engine onto the actual frame yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a problem. The oil pan is hanging a little too low, about 1-2-ish inches below the bottom of the frame. Now, I have a crazy question; has anyone modified their oil pans before? No? Didn’t think so. I’m doubting it because there’s no reason to unless you’re doing something similar to me. I know I can get it modified, but I want to do all the research I can to make sure that putting in a little less oil into the system isn’t going to destroy anything. Eeeeeeehhhh this is hard ??

·
Super Moderator
718 Posts
Yup, I've seen modified CB500x (exact same as the cbr500 mill) oil pans modified for higher ground clearance.
This forum is ridiculous about censoring links to other forums, but use your Google search with keywords for "CRF500L full build" and thou shell succeed. ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay. I’ve mounted the engine, made a custom swing arm to hold the rear CBR500R wheel, made custom throttle body adapter pieces to allow the throttle body to have room so all the connectors can go in place and not hit the frame, I kept the rear brake disc (yes!!) and I’ve cut hose to mount the radiator. I currently don’t have a reservoir, I need to make the battery box, my current fuel pump is literally bigger than my car’s, I need to finish creating the instrument assembly to hold the new CBR500R’s instrument cluster gauge and I need to mount the fuel pump and pressure regulator. I’m doing braided steel to allow for boost later down the road along with the adjustable pressure regulator, and I’ve done a pair valve delete to allow me to auto tune the bike more accurately when I get that and the power commander.
Here’s the problem;
My radiator has to be so close to the exhaust that the stock fan has no possible way to fit. I’m wondering if anybody knows what types of specs the fans have so I can replace them with a skinnier fan. I will be wrapping the exhaust right by the radiator to help with the heat. If you have any other suggestions for other parts of the bike, I would love to hear those as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts