Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Framesliders/crash bar recommendations?

12K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Lolm333 
#1 ·
TL:dr, crash bar or framesliders, which brand you'd recommend?

Hi all! My first post here. I just got my CB500F yesterday! It's a really preppy bike moving up from the 300. I've rode a 600 before dropping the coin and date I say for city and normal Highway traffic a 500 is more than enough and a real blast!

But I also want to protect my investment by installing some crash bars or engine sliders. The problem is I'm not sure which one to choose.
I know SW-MOTECH makes one and so does Puig. I know Vortex and Puig got framesliders for it. Will a frame slider be enough or do I need to move to a full on crash bar?

#3 ·
I have R&G "aero" frame sliders installed on my 2014 CB500FA. They will definitely prevent damage if your bike falls over while stationary, and should surely minimize damage if it goes down while riding. They are quite stealth; most people would not even notice they are there. I bought them a few years ago, mainly because I live in one of the windiest places on the planet, and feared that said wind would topple my bike while it's parked. I did an experiment one day by laying my bike down on its side on our patio, and sure enough, the R&G sliders do prevent any part of it from touching the ground. Hopefully I will never have to see just how well they will protect my bike in a highway-speed slide.

Here's a couple pics of my ride with the R&G "aero" frame sliders installed. Can you spot them? (you can click on these images to make them larger)

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

#5 · (Edited)
I have Puig Hi-Tech Parts sliders on my 2014 CB500F. Look great. Fortunately, have not yet seen them in action. I think they are, specifically, Puig Hi-Tech Parts R12 frame sliders (can use that to find at CycleGear etc). They'll protect the frame, gas tank, etc, but are unlikely to prevent handlebar/clutch lever/brake lever damage.

Also saw these available on Amazon, but know nothing about them: 14-18 HONDA CB500F: Vortex V3 2.0 Frame Slider Kit (No Modification)

- Becca

PS Love my bike!

#6 ·
I also have the R&G sliders on my 2015 500F. I haven't tested them at all but they do give me peace of mind. Pretty easy to install, just need a torque wrench to get them to spec. Also if you have a rear stand it will help a lot as when it's on the side stand it's hard to get the original bolts out.

Attachments

#7 ·
Puig Pro

I went through the same process when I got my '17 CB500F and ended up deciding on the Puig Pro frame sliders. I liked the reduced weight/flip risk as compared to a full engine guard, as well as the design that I think will fare better in an off than the normal cylinder-style frame sliders. Haven't had to "use" them yet and hope not to, but I feel good having them.

#10 ·
Hey welcome to the forum. I use T-Rex sliders on mine. I like them because they're mounted across two bolts rather than one, minimizing the risk of bending when they get called off the bench. I like their shape and aesthetics though if you're looking for something more discreet, these might not be for you.

https://www.t-rex-racing.com

Hope this helps!

I also have these. I got the set labeled for the 2019 CB500F but unfortunately the back spools do not work. So I am stuck with a set that fits the 2019 CB500X since I got the set.

T-Rex was pretty great about exchanging and trying to figure out. I hope they do change the date range for the spool sliders, though, as the ones they 'think' work (for the 2019 CB500X) do not work for the 2019 CB500F. Would be a bummer if others ordered and found the issue.

Can't post pics yet, but the slider itself works great and blends in with the frame IMO, it obviously sticks a bit out, but nothing too crazy.

The reason the rear slider/spool set doesn't work is that the sprocket used for the CB500X has the mounting bolts a bit closer to the center/axle, while the CB500F has the bolts just a bit out, so when the wheel spins, it hits the mounting bolt that you set through the chain guard bolt.

But, not too worried, for some reason the set was super cheap on Amazon, it was $129.99 USD and the price for the sliders alone is $144 on their site.

#11 ·
Framesliders end up being a worse problem. If those things bend or worse, the bolt breaks and part of the bolt is left inside the body of the bike, good luck getting out that piece of broken bolt. It's much better to pay for the damages resulting of dropping the bike than dealing with a bent or broken bolt inside the motorcycle's body.

I friend of mine spent like $300 buying tools and $200 on labor fixing this exact problem and he missed 3 days of work. All total estimation on money lost? Over $1,000, plus literally a big headache.

My advice, stay away from framesliders and don't drop your bike.

#12 ·
There are other designs of frame sliders that avoid that problem.
Like the Sato Racing style that use a plate bolted to three points of the bike and the slider is then bolted to that. The bolt is designed to bend not snap.
The are always pros and cons to all modifications. Considering most people are more likely to drop their bike at slow or stationary than actually crash it at speed, the sliders are security against minor damage in those situations. In an at speed accident there's gonna be a good bit of damage regardless if a slider is fitted or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.