Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

181 - 200 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
I just installed the Guia Craft frame sliders purchased off ebay for 61.98 shipped. Great quality, fast shipping, quick and easy install, overall no issues. As mentioned in previous posts, they do not clear the blinkers, but thats an inexpensive fix, compared to fairings and motor casings.

Those look great! I hope you won't ever have to test them out. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ****** up while installing my Guia craft frame sliders. As others have noted, the manufacturing on the longer engine bolt for the right side is rather rough. So I went to the hardware store to buy a nut to run it through to try and smooth out the thread. While screwing in the bolt to the engine I could tell it was a little rough going, but nothing too crazy, so I kept screwing it in. Well, it stopped turning entirely, all of a sudden, with a centimeter left to go in.

Well, I couldn't leave it not entirely screwed in, so I decided to try to remove the bolt. That's when the "oh ****" feeling sunk in. Screwing it out was 10 times harder than going in, and each turn I knew was fucking my threads even worse but I had no other choice. The bolt had to come out.

Now my stock bolt won't even screw in. This shitty Chinese bolt messed my threads up. I guess I'm gonna have to go to a mechanic that can re-thread the hole or something. And I'm going to have to find a new bolt that will work with these frame sliders since obviously the one that came with them was made by the devil.

Stupid question: if I ride really softly can I make it to the mechanic by riding the bike with only 1 engine mount bolt in (the left one is in)? I would like to avoid the expense of towing my motorcycle.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Stupid question: if I ride really softly can I make it to the mechanic by riding the bike with only 1 engine mount bolt in (the left one is in)? I would like to avoid the expense of towing my motorcycle.
Well first off that REALLY stinks! I have had that happen to me before on my other bike with screw on my brake reservoir and had to just buy used replacement online. As for riding it, I would probably say to try and at least get that bad screw back in to ride it to the shop. Technically you already re-threaded the hole with the new screw, so it should go back in. You shouldn't mess it up any more than it is if you use that same screw only. They shouldn't have a problem re-threading it. As long as the screw doesn't enter the oil chamber on the motor you should be ok. If it does, make sure you get a full motor flush to get any metal filings out. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
T-rex makes a no cut style frame sliders and it looks really nice. the plastic part seems to be very heavy duty and will most likely protect the plastics on your bike. Also T rex makes a rear spool for the cbr 500r which comes with a bracket that will clamp onto the rear swing arm so you wont have to drill the swing arm. They sell them either separate or as a set. The frame sliders i believe was $159 on ebay and the rear spool is about $70 but if you buy as a set i think i paid roughly $210 and they are based in Texas. Again this frame sliders require no cutting but installing it require's the removal of the lower fairings. i hope this was helpful.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I would link the the other thread i posted, but I cannot post links yet ... so I will quote myself:

_Yamato said:
Well then ladies and gentleman ...
I do believe no one has yet mentioned frame sliders from rutan (probably because it's a czech brand and they don't have a page in english), but if you like the thought behind T-Rex sliders (which were one of the sliders I was looking at first), then you might be interested in these, they are much better placed with less "dramatic" design, the only downside compared to the T-Rex is the missing connecting rod to the other side, but then again other sliders are mounted on weaker spots ... there needs to be some cutting done, but it's only from the mate plastic part of the fairing right next to the engine (it is about 9x3cm cut). I've done it with a saw for metal cutting and smoothed it out with a file and knife.

I would post actual pictures and link to the store, but apparently I need to have more posts for that first ...
you can find the store on rutan.cz, navigation to your type of bike should be quite straight forward (yes, the page is a bit slow) and the sliders go for about 70 - 107 € depending on the type and color of the mounting plate you chose (black or silver, black is more expensive), there is a gallery with some photos on the site and I have some from other angles in my gallery

I think they do ship to the whole EU, for other places I guess you would have to ask, just write them a message on facebook, they usually respond quite fast (depending on the time when you write them of course)
hope some of you will find it helpful ;)

btw. I have the "conus" style with black mounting base ...

·
Registered
152 Posts
hello all, new to the motorcycle world, first bike cbr500r... I'm 5'11" and was looking at the Puig R12 frame sliders are they good? I read almost all the thread and was wondering if this is a good choice or should I just but the Puig Pro sliders.

let me know

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
436 Posts
@Justinr I debated between the Pro and the R12. Went R12--love them, no regrets. They look like part of the bike and not some aftermarket eyesore. The Pros are definitely much more obvious on the bike. Unfortunately, I had an oops in driveway soon after installing them when I first got the bike so I can tell you that they do work as they're supposed to. Luckily, no more oopses since then!

·
Registered
18 Posts
hello all so ive been looking into frame sliders since i bought the bike back in september.. but really looking at the Puig R12 sliders but now Revzilla has a new slider "Sato Racing Frame Sliders Honda CBR500R / CB500F 2013-2015"

no reviews on this product yet. anyone have experience with these?!?!?
I was going to get those Sato's as well; unfortunately they are too expensive for me. I don't think someone has made a review about them. However, the Guia craft ones are exactly the same; though quality wise they might not be as good. You can find more info about them and the sato’s at page 13 ;). Personally, I decided that the Sato ones don't justify the price difference so I bought the Guia silders. I'm still waiting on them to arrive so I can’t give feedback on them, yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
@Joriek
Where did you buy Guia sliders from? Seems like they are not available anymore on ebay or aliexpress.
I bought them at the2wheels.com :wink:. Quality looks actually pretty good and installation isn't hard if you take your time. Unfortunately I had the chance to test them out since I stalled my bike while taking a corner from standstill. The slider did what it’s supposed to do; almost no damage at all. I merely scratched my the2wheels levers, bar-ends and bent the rear braking peg. Didn't damage the fairings or blinker.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I would link the the other thread i posted, but I cannot post links yet ... so I will quote myself:

hope some of you will find it helpful ;)

btw. I have the "conus" style with black mounting base ...
Pics please?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just bought a 2016 CB500F. I can attest that frame sliders work:

Attachments

181 - 200 of 213 Posts