Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

It's nice to meet you all. I've been wanting to ride a motorcycle for a while now, I took the MSF beginners course two years ago but haven't had a chance to own a bike until now. My CBR500R ABS (Red of course since I'm in the US) got delivered yesterday! Since I'm a beginner I would like to install some frame sliders just in case. I've had no luck finding some that would fit this bike. Do any of you know who makes them for this bike and where I can buy them?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hey guys,

It's nice to meet you all. I've been wanting to ride a motorcycle for a while now, I took the MSF beginners course two years ago but haven't had a chance to own a bike until now. My CBR500R ABS (Red of course since I'm in the US) got delivered yesterday! Since I'm a beginner I would like to install some frame sliders just in case. I've had no luck finding some that would fit this bike. Do any of you know who makes them for this bike and where I can buy them?

Thanks for the help!
R&G makes some for the cbr500r
http://www.rg-racing.com.au/contents/en-uk/d2965.html#p37851

·
Registered
924 Posts
if they bolt onto the same section with a straight bar (at least thats how it looks) then any frame slider that the CB500F can have without a fairing, then we can rock those on the CBR500R as well? Like the Yoshimura's?

CLICK HERE FOR LINK

Just curious because as a new rider, I really want a set of these to save my bike in a low speed drop which is a common cause for new riders to go down. As some forum wizards indicate that in a high speed lowside that the frame sliders 'grab' then tumble and throw the bike around - which is bad. But I'm not really worried about that just yet as I'm more likely to screw my bike up trying to park it then doing a Rossi with the knee down.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Anyone who has a CBR500R in the garage (not that lucky, I'm still waiting till mine gets into Oz) can you take a quick photo of the engine mounts? As these Yoshi's seem to use them. Here's a quote from the PDF installation page.

-INSTALLATION-​
1. Remove right side engine mount bolt.
2. Install Yoshimura chassis protector on left side according to the diagram using the provided
hardware. Torque to factory specification.
3. Remove left side engine mount bolt.
4. Install Yoshimura chassis protector on right side according to the diagram using the provided
hardware. Torque to factory specification.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Install Yoshimura chassis protector one side at a time. DO NOT remove both left
and right engine mount bolts simultaneously. Doing so may cause engine to sag or drop and as a result​
the mounting holes may be misaligned.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You would have to put a hole in the fairing for it work on the cbr500r which is why Yoshi has them listed for the CB500F, I was looking at that earlier. I also don't think it would be high enough to really protect the fairing, can someone with a 500 chime in on this.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I'm just keen to see a frame slider thats high enough (are the R&G's high enough they don't look it?) to give protection to the fairings without having to get all 'mad crazy doctor' and buzz cut your way through a fairing to install an F model slider. Might make resale an issue.

·
Registered
882 Posts
You would have to put a hole in the fairing for it work on the cbr500r which is why Yoshi has them listed for the CB500F, I was looking at that earlier. I also don't think it would be high enough to really protect the fairing, can someone with a 500 chime in on this.
no way anyone with an R is going to cut the fairings.... Why break the fairing prior to a drop to "save" the fairing in case of a drop :confused:

·
Registered
246 Posts
My concern with frame sliders for these bikes is that the engine is a stressed member unlike a lot of bikes. Has anyone thought about this? Can anyone shed light on whether or not this is a concern?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm sure companies will just make a steel relocation plate for the R sliders to bring it just past the line of the fairing.Its really just a question of when?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I don't think the Yoshi's or R&G's are nearly long enough, or high enough for that matter.
Moth has come out with a set that attach to the engine itself, but that could be a disaster in a crash.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yea I've got an F with the Yoshi sliders. Even if you repositioned them on another mount on the R, I'm not sure how much they'll protect the fairings as they don't come out that far.

Right Side:

Left Side:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Cruiser foot rests? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yeah i am not going to do sliders tbh..

1 - 20 of 212 Posts