Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to break down my forks for some maintenance but I’m not sure what oil I need for my forks. I see multiple recommendations and don’t want to just randomly pick one. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Look in the service manual for your year of bike for the correct fork oil.

For example, the 2013-2015 year bikes specify
Pro Honda Suspension Fluid SS-8 (10W)

Be aware that the "weight" number (10W) says very little about how it performs in the fork - it's not like motor oil. To find an equivalent oil you need to compare the viscosity number (cSt @ 40C) of each oil. Not always easy to find this in my experience, go to the oil manufacturer's website.

If you are going to tear down the forks completely, you might consider installing one of the cartridge emulator kits for our bikes. Make a big difference in control and comfort of the front end.
I installed the Traxxion AR-25 system in my 2014 CB500F, comes with emulators, springs for your weight and custom damper rods, no modifications needed. Kit includes heavier fork oil that works with the new damping parts.

If you like a softer ride, their spring rate suggestions are pretty firm. They suggested 0.85kg/mm which was fine on perfectly smooth pavement but too stiff on rougher streets. I switched to 0.75kg/mm which works great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts