Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never been a fan of naked fork tubes since I first saw these on the Honda CL-77 Super Hawk 305cc Scrambler when I worked as a dealer mechanic in the 1960s. One stone thrown up from another vehicle can destroy a fork tube that is not protected for the area several inches above the top of the fork sliders.

The Honda CB-500 series bikes have need for very short fork gaiters and these from the latest Royal Enfield 650 models fit perfectly. I got mine on E-bay from India for about $25 shipped free. Took me several very leisurely hours to fit them and I'm very happy with the result. The only additional parts needed were two stainless steel hose clamps of 3" diameter. As long as the forks were off, I drained them (10K miles) and replaced the OEM fluid with Maxima 7wt fork oil. I used a lighter than OEM weight as I am lower in weight than most riders (61 kilos/134#). Fork action is good.

Ralph

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
413 Posts
I fitted gaiters to my CBR500R straight away, the week I got it. I just found some universal ones on eBay with the right dimensions. As I had the front mudguard off to fit an extension anyway, it was a simple job to continue by dropping the wheel out and then each fork leg in turn to fit them.
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Automotive design

Crankset Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle tire

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part

1 - 2 of 2 Posts